Surface Go 2 Discussion Thread (May 2020)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 6, 2020.

1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Unfortunately I soft-bricked mine, and haven't had a chance to revisit the device. Maybe we should start a VTN8 revival thread?

We could try to pool together people with access to original microSD recovery image and also the known set of good drivers (especially wifi was pain for me after OS upgrades). Maybe finally create a complete walkthrough for posterity.

This thing really a champ of that era of tablets. :)

Tams, Kumabjorn and Bronsky like this.
  2. RazzNuts

RazzNuts Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi,
    Do some of you actually routinely takes notes with Surface Pen on your SG2?

Compared to the SP7, I discovered SG2 has some skipping issue when I was writing cursive fast with non-trivial stroke.

This won't be apparent if you just write the-quick-brown leisurely.

Do they have different digitizer or is there some other explanation ?

[​IMG][​IMG]

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I used my Surface Pen all the time before I acquired a Boox Color 8" reader/tablet. I use the Boox primarily for note taking now. I do annotations, marking up documents on the Go2 more than anything else.

But I have never seen the problem you describe. I write fairly fast and I tried to recreate your issue by writing as fast as I can. Nothing! I find the handwriting on the Surface Go2 to be quite accurate and smooth. My only gripe about the Go2's handwriting is as much the ergonomics of the pen as anything else. An EMR Wacom pen still has lower initiation effort and feels better to use by virtue of its smaller size and weight. But, Microsoft has come a long way.

[​IMG]

The Imaculate Heart Sisters at Our Lady of Pompeii where I grew up in Phiadelphia would be ashamed of my less-than-Palmer-Method handwriting but you can get the point. Where you writing in OneNote?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    nnthemperor likes this.
  4. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I bought one of these:
    [​IMG]
    but it appears because of the rather bad design you have to get a very thin usb c cable (even standard cable like from Lumia 950 is to thick at the end) otherwise it cannot enter the surface connect port completely (/not charging). :/
    Luckily it was only a few bucks for me just wanted to give y'all a heads-up.

5. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

I’d like one that had the USB-C connector attach at a 90° angle. The Surface Connector wire is always in my way if I’m charging while holding the Go2 like a tablet. I knock or pull it out of the socket all the time.

Edit: I went and got a proper 24W USB-C car charger (12v socket—I’m on solar+batteries here) and a 2-pack of good USB-C to USB-C charging cables. My SG2 should be happy with that. I looked up the exact requirements on Microsoft’s site, after all (so what could go wrong? :p).

6. RazzNuts

Thanks for trying out,

I must say SGO2 pen tracking is not bad per se. If I don't have SP7 as a control, I would say it's fine and it's just my chicken scratch handwriting (the latter kind of true, yours is caligraphy comparatively).

However the feels and also demonstrated by the resulting handwriting is simply better with SP7. It simply captures the curve and loops with higher fidelity.

If I write slower then the 'skipping' is not that apparent. It shows mainly on sharp and fast strokes, like writing e followed by t, or h, you know those loops. Like the loops in letter e should not be reduced to c.

I noticed your handwriting tends to have broader stroke than mine, so that's probably a factor.

Maybe I got a dud or there was some CPU throttling problem?

I use Journal (MS made, available on Windows Store) and Xodo PDF Editor.

Maybe I have bias on my definition of smoothness.. Yes my old tablet best experience came exclusively with Wacom. Dell's Synaptics is meh. Although, I think SP7 is closing the gaps with MS' tweaked N-trig.

nnthemperor likes this.
  7. RazzNuts

Is this to avoid the USB-C connector poking your belly/sternum on tablet mode? Why not get a L-connectortUSB cable instead?

nnthemperor likes this.
  8. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I agree with you. Inking on the Surface devices has come a long way.

As an ex-seminarian, I absolve you of the handwriting sin

Sent from my SM-P205 using Tapatalk

Bishop, daddyfish and Bronsky like this.
  9. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

Do people not like turning the tablet so that the connector is at the top when doing portrait mode? I do that all the time when my iPad mini 5 is plugged in while I use it. Ditto with Surface Go 2, though I rarely do portrait mode on that.

nnthemperor likes this.
  10. rabilancia

rabilancia Scribbler - Standard Member

For me it's something about "muscle memory." After looking at monitors in landscape mode since 1981 (earlier if you consider 24/25x80 character displays on IBM terminals), my brain muscle still pushes my hands & fingers to landscape positions.

nnthemperor likes this.