Surface Go 2 Discussion Thread (May 2020)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 6, 2020.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Plus the 256GB model has an m3, unlike the terrible Pentium Gold in the Costco deal. So basically they're saving you from yourself. Thanks Costco!

cmergel and nnthemperor like this.
  2. downeaster59

downeaster59 Pen Pal - Newbie

Mine is due in tomorrow. I plan to run Crystaldisk soon after I have it, and I'll post the results - unless someone else beats me to it!

Chris_Kez and Bronsky like this.
  3. JoeS

Nice, feels like Christmas morning on TPCR again. Thanks Microsoft for providing some good old fashioned tech fun during these grim times!

Speaking of tech fun, seems like our own @cbutters is planning to live stream some SGo2 benchmarking. Is this still happening?

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Update 3:

This one is going to wax philosophical, less of a tech report than what I feel with regard to the SG2 after the first 24 hours - which may all changes in the next 24 hours as many folks around here can attest. And it only speaks of the m3 model - can't say this device makes sense any longer with the Pentium Gold. So you are forewarned...

Reviews of the SG2 range all over the map from it is a POS (still) to it is the second coming. That's to be expected. They also variously compare it to the low end iPad, the iPad Pro, sub-$600 Windows laptops, and Surface Pro 7. ALL of these opinions and comparisons are wrong.

SG2 is none of these. It is a general purpose PC in an iPad body. Just what I have been looking for. Thanks to @sonichedgehog360 's post about battery performance, I followed it back to the PC Magazine review, which is the closest to right I have seen yet. This comment said it all:

"If you can stomach the price, though, the Surface Go 2 is potentially the only computer you’ll need—if your computing needs are light. It’s a thoughtfully designed and solidly constructed device, but it actually owes much of its versatility to improvements in the Windows operating system that make it equally adept as a tablet PC or plugged in to a keyboard, a mouse, and an external monitor. People who spend all day working at a desktop PC and then kick back on the couch with an iPad at night could easily stand to replace both devices with a Surface Go 2 plus the right accessories and peripherals."

Of course this is only 24 hours in, so no decisions yet. I have been searching these last four years for a PC in an iPad body, including repeated attempts to do that with the iPad itself. Even with iOS 13.4, and a strong desire to move to a single device solution, it is not the answer. If you want the smallest USABLE full Windows 10 device, this is it. The iPad Pro 11 (2018) plus Magic Keyboard brought me to the conclusion that I really NEED full Windows 10 in my workflow. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, OneNote, Adobe Acrobat Pro, Drawboard PDF (a must have for annotating PDF's), File Manager, easy VPN support - THAT is my workday and so far (fingers crossed) up to the task. Oops - almost forgot from my prior post - the web camera is to die for in 2020 - better than the Logitech c920 and ready whenever you are - just amazing.

The SG2 is NOT a pure tablet experience, and can't be. That is iPad's insurmountable lead in design, software, and system integration that not even Samsung can break with all its Android experience. As a tablet I immediately faulted SG2 for not being a reader, but then I have to admit that even Kindle is better on iPad than a Fire tablet, and News+ (where I have access to hundreds of magazines) is an Apple only option. Games are sparse and shadows of an iPad, but watching Netflix, iTunes, Disney+, Prime Video, and internet browsing work great. That means iPad in some fashion in my life for the foreseeable future, but NOT an accessory to my laptop. All you reviewers out there whining "it's not a good tablet" is because there are no good tablets outside of iPad and iOS.

It is also not a Photoshop/Priemere/Final Cut competitor. The SG2 never says "NO" (well, Final Cut), but it is probably not going to be an experience you will enjoy.* So all you reviewers out there hating on it for not being up to snuff with MacBook Pro/Surface Pro/Dell XPS, get over yourselves. In that same vein, one more whine about the keyboard and pen not being included will make my head explode - try Apple pricing of its accessories if you want to know pain.

This is the closest yet to my one device solution, and that says a lot for this midget wonder. I just hope my world renown (well, TabletPCReview renown) reputation for pickiness doesn't get in my way here. If only it had a 512gb SSD...

*However, watch these reviews of the SG1 used by an average Joe for his outdoors sports blog editing his Go Pro videos - Hiker J at Home; Hiker J in the Field

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  5. JoeS

@dstrauss in a nutshell :cryingwithlaughteremoji:

Thanks for the second/third impressions. It sounds like an awesome little machine. I again want one. Maybe I can recruit @Bronsky to run over my Galaxy Book 2 so I have a better excuse.

nnthemperor likes this.
  6. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

This is interesting because I recall your BB source said the SG1 didn't sell well, right? So perhaps general consumers are more spec-savvy than we give them credit for. ;)

I'm having a little trouble envisioning your travel setup: if the IPP11 is a must, but not an accessory to your x360, than you only keep it at home? That's a very expensive toilet-bowl news reader. :p

And how does the SG2 fit in all this? Will it be a companion to your x360, or maybe on-the-go replacement for when you want to travel light?

nnthemperor likes this.
  7. JoeS

So the benchmark livestream comment section has this remark: ".. my Go 2 is looking like a lemon at this point...". @cbutters, not having seen the whole thing, what is the problem with your unit?

nnthemperor likes this.
  8. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

My Surface Go 2 appeared to have performance problems during testing... It was severely underperforming. After the livestream I wiped the machine and reinstalled windows; I found the problem persisted. I have to assume the device is defective at this point; as such; disregard the performance portions of this video.

Geekbench 5 was 20% lower than windowscentral benchmarks; and 3D applications as well were underperforming compared to the original Surface GO and experienced stuttering at times; This was in contrast to some friends and other users in the livechat who also are testing the device and their machines behaved completely differently.

That said.. there is still lots of good information in the video; Also @Bronsky your crystaldiskmark scores are in there towards the end... look around 1:44:00 (surface go 2 is on the left)

Looks like I will have to return it unless anybody has any bright ideas; I'd gladly take suggestions at this point. a full clean windows reinstall and reinstalling all the drivers hasn't worked :( My best guess it is a faulty thermal sensor which is severely limiting the TDP to 3.5 watts or a faulty firmware update?

Edit: Device seems to now be functioning properly (see my post down the thread)

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  9. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

And this is why you should convert all your Kindle purchases* to an open format and then use a decent program of your choosing.

*we're not sailing on the high seas here, well, at least not publically. ;)

nnthemperor and Chris_Kez like this.
  10. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Reformed Lumia Fan

[​IMG]
    Words fail me.