Surface Go 2 Discussion Thread (May 2020)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 6, 2020.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

One sobering comment about the battery life, in that same graph they show that the original Go with LTE could do just over 11 hours of video. So perhaps "real world battery life = PCMag video test divided by two".. So 6.5h on the Go2? That would still be a major improvement though.

Edit: seems about right: Daniel Rubino claims about 7h for the m3 model for his use case.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
    nnthemperor, Marty and Bronsky like this.
  2. cmergel

cmergel DBA by trade.

Lurking..... Trying not to hit the buy button...……….

Bronsky likes this.
  3. JoeS

Not saying that anyone should buy the Pentium Gold model, but Costco seems to be offering an 8GB/128GB bundle with pen and keyboard already. Separately these would cost $550+$100 (pen) +$100 (basic type cover) = $750, so you're basically getting the keyboard or pen for free. Not too bad!

Edit: this page seems to come and go, as does product availability, so perhaps the page is still being worked on. Edit 2: Memorial Day has come and gone, and no sign of this deal. :confused:

Update on 6/17/2020: it's back! :cool:

upload_2020-5-13_12-40-7.png

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    nnthemperor, Marty and cmergel like this.
  4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

If anybody gets a 128GB soon, I would be curious about its speeds if you can run the Crystaldisk benchmark.

5. JoeS

The Windows Central Surface Go 2 review is out. They sound eh.. cautiously optimistic?

Surface Go 2 review: Core m3 makes all the difference, but it's just barely enough

Positive news about the battery life, for those going for the m3 model:

Bronsky likes this.
  6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

7. cmergel

cmergel DBA by trade.

8. JoeS

Yeah, same here. I hope when it does return it will be at the same price!

Edit: aaaand it's back. Very confusing. The availability of the page seems to be flickering.. Just tried again, got "not available", tried a reload, boom there it is. It does list out of stock for now though.

Funny, whoever coded the page was pretty thoughtful :D
    upload_2020-5-13_14-10-23.png

Last edited: May 13, 2020
    nnthemperor likes this.
  9. cmergel

cmergel DBA by trade.

maybe regional, by zip. You would think the Costco right next to Microsoft would have them, but it doesn't even find them...
    just prevents me from pulling the trigger... want to hold out for the 256gb, must wait..... ugh...

JoeS likes this.
  10. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Reformed Lumia Fan

This is an Amazon issue, no? Microsoft did everything they could for several years to get developers on board, to no avail. Amazon did create sub-standard Kindle apps for both Windows Phone and Windows 8, killing the latter in 2016 and directing everyone to the also sub-standard Kindle Cloud reader. They similarly killed the sub-par Comixology app for Windows 8, directing readers to the web-- which again offered a sub-par experience and no way to download comics. I get that the user base for Kindle on Windows is small, but it's not like Amazon couldn't afford to make a decent app for whatever users they do have on the platform. The same goes for Google, who happily put a knife in the back of Windows Phone and never deigned to acknowledge Windows 8 or 10 at all; at least they have the decency to also provide a sub-par experience on the iPad as well. :p

nnthemperor and JoeS like this.