Surface Go 2 Discussion Thread (May 2020)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 6, 2020.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

No just Kindle, but all most any app that has both MS store and iPad equivalents.

And FWIW, in a candid moment about a year ago an amazon software guy told us that the kindle App is IOS first priority, even over their own tablets due to the fact that there are far more IOS kindle users than any other.

dstrauss likes this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Update 2:

I had a full restful night of sleep - both the SG2 and the x360 were busy downloading mail/etc. and doing a full backup of the x360. If I keep this little puppy downshifting to sub TB space is going to be a chore.

I got to the office this morning, pulled out our spare Surface Dock (original version) and have my regular configuration up and running - two WQHD 27" monitors, HP LaserJet, Ethernet, USB A 5TB Easystore, Surface keyboard/mouse/Onyx speaker (those last three via BT). Everything is working fine so far - no lag - and the silence of the SG2 is a nice improvement from the x360 running fans. We'll see how long that lasts. Haven't set up cellular yet and may not until tonight.

As for note taking - the Surface Pen/SG2 is better than HP/Bamboo on the x360, but not as good as the Pencil 2, except it is quieter than even the Pencil 2. There is no lag behind the pen point, but it just doesn't seem as precise as the Pencil 2 - when I use the iPad Pro it "looks" like the ink is actually flowing out of the tip of the pen - does that make sense? It is more than good enough for note taking, and having the kickstand makes finding the right angle to cut glare, whether at my desk or on a conference table is GREAT.

And now just for @Bronsky - here's CDM with Bitlocker on - seems the SG@ business SKU (256gb) comes with Bitlocker enabled - that seems strange to me - not sure how I create my Bitlocker unlock code (maybe that comes when I add the mSDXC card?)

Correction - I have saved my Bitlocker recovery key - I was confused (ok - no old guy comments) that generate a password for removable media like my mSDXC.

SG2-CDM-Bitlocker.png

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Compared to the anemic 128GB SSD in my Go, those speeds look great. Thanks for the bench.

nnthemperor and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Supplement to Update 2:

Only downer so far is the packaging - business SKU, even though so much more expensive, comes in a plain brown box like you would ship your system in to get it repaired...:(:confused::rolleyes:

nnthemperor and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  5. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

6. desertlap

Short update, I still haven't gotten to raw performance trials yet but I did test out the display.

I haven't been able to confirm who makes it, but my tests show significant improvement in most areas including gamut , accuracy (Delta E 0.7) and peak brightness. Just shy of iPad Pro 11 levels overall and definitely top tier in ultra portables as a whole.

One oddity I have discovered is that cold boot is about 10 seconds slower than the first generation. That could be down to a zillion things including immature firmware or SSD differences

EDIT: Out of the box color accuracy is only mediocre, but it calibrates very well and fairly easily.

7. desertlap

That's one area where I expected to see significant improvement due to the newer chip architecture.
    Hopefully it extends to other things as well since most of us don't stream videos all day. I think anyway :)

8. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Also Noice that the runtime spells 'leet' :)
    Yeah, that, plus I wonder what brightness levels their video runtime test uses. Still though, while I'm trapped in a plane (if that ever happens again), I do tend to watch a lot of video while at low brightness, and 13+ hours would take care of most of my trips!

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Let us know if you put together a profile.

This is the only way I'll ever get on a plane again until this virus is eradicated.

[​IMG]

By way of comparison with Dale's 256GB SSD, here's My 128GB SSD with encryption turned on.
    [​IMG]

Looks like write speed is nearly 10x that of my Go at times.​

10. nannlp

nannlp Scribbler - Standard Member

“Eradicated” . Looks like no ‘sky’ for you for sometime bron’sky’

dstrauss, nnthemperor and Bronsky like this.