Surface Go 2 Discussion Thread (May 2020)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 6, 2020.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Unbox Therapy does a nice review, especially that incredible webcam I mentioned (at 9:00):

sonichedgehog360 and JoeS like this.
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

That looks great, you can basically count the hairs in his beard :confused:

nnthemperor likes this.
  3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Good news. The staircasing pressure bug appears gone from the SG2:

And bonus, the HID event spam also gone @3:12, allowing remapping of the side switches. Woot.

sonichedgehog360 and JoeS like this.
  4. nannlp

nannlp Scribbler - Standard Member

Can’t wait to get the surface go 2

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Dale,

I hope you didnt go to sleep without a thorough review :vbbiggrin:

6. lafester

lafester Scribbler - Standard Member

Thought about grabbing one from BB today, but they do not seem to carry the wifi m3 model.
    In fact, nobody seems to carry it except MS.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  7. bierot

bierot Pen Pal - Newbie

Bad news for an artist usage: first bug related to the tilt feature.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  8. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks for that. We haven't purchased the Pro X pen standalone so I wasn't aware of what it came with.

Related to that, the last word we had about the X Pen tech was that the hardware was there, but awaiting software to "turn it on".

We have a meeting with MS next week and I've already added that to my list of things to inquire about.

So I finally got my Go 2 late yesterday , but unfortunately a ruptured water heater interfered with my plans to actually do anything with it until today.

My intent is to do a side by side with one of our existing gos to compare performance and other things.

A few quick things as I'm setting this one up this morning. First and most important, MS already sent us a note (though lacking in specifics) that the firmware update that's available is "critical" and that in an edge case failing to install it could ultimately end up with a bricked system. More likely though, is intermittent failures with connected devices, especially the new Surface Dock.

I don't have actual confirmation yet, but the panel does appear to be a Samsung, possibly the same one they use in the Tab A line. If that's true, it's a decent choice as that panel is quite accurate and bright with the only minor ding being that it's only mediocre with linearity. I hope to figure out exactly what panel it is later today.

Of course YMMV as MS does multisource components in the surface line including drives etc.

Related to the drive, my unit has the 128GB which is apparently what Best Buy chose to source. I've read a bit that the 256GB is faster generally and when we get our business sample I intend to try and verify.

As to BB specifically, my contact there said that they underestimated demand for the core m version and were sold out of the stock they had within minutes. They are getting more soon and at this point none of the Go skus are constrained yet (though that could change)

One other bright spot is that they appear to have reengineered the WiFi antennas a bit including one know issue we discovered that would essentially reduce throughput by about 75%. That also might explain the slightly differing results that @dstrauss observed.

I intend to go full in with it today and will post anything interesting I find.

I will say once again how much I like this size compared to the regular pro. I was reading an ebook last night and it was a much more comfortable experience despite the mediocre kindle cloud reader software.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...despite the mediocre kindle cloud reader software...>>

+1. In recent weeks, I've found it necessary to use this app because some books are only available in Kindle format. In parallel tests there is a fairly stark contrast in the quality of the UX between Kindle on my iPP and on my Go. Microsoft really needs to do something about the quality of their apps...

desertlap likes this.
  10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Domestic concerns while your public awaits?:vbfrown:

nnthemperor and desertlap like this.