Surface Go 2 Discussion Thread (May 2020)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 6, 2020.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

So I guess we are not likely to see any changes to the Go2 this Spring. The device is less than a year into its product cycle. So, next year, we'll get a better CPU and a user replaceable SSD.

sonichedgehog360 and nnthemperor like this.
  2. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, does it also disconnect when you transfer data or only when idle? And yeah try the SATA/2"5 SSD too with the Go.
    Also in Device Manager you can set power saving settings of USB devices/ports (right click Windows logo left bottom -> Device Manager -> Universal Serial Bus Controllers -> [right click the correct one and properties] -> Power management tab.

Bronsky likes this.
  3. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    Bronsky and darkmagistric like this.
  4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

and that’s with an old 8th Gen M3. If we do get a Go 3 anytime this year, it would be damn shame if it didn’t have a 7w 11th Gen Core U-series

nnthemperor and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  5. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

With the way Apple is really blazing ahead with iPad and MacBook while Qualcomm is also nipping at Intel's heels, I imagine Microsoft will use this situation to their advantage against Intel and strong-ARM (pun intended) Intel into providing them their best processors, knowing full well that Intel rather lose margins than lose face from allowing a critical high-profile business partnership like Microsoft to be severely compromised. After all, I have concluded at this point (given the unexplained absence of an AMD-powered Surface Pro) that the only reason that Microsoft maintains these "token" AMD SKUs is to arm themselves with dealing leverage or bargaining power amongst their partners. (In observing them, I also feel Microsoft will never switch from Intel to AMD for their mainline products like the Pro or the Book unless Intel cannot provide at least 50% of the performance of the competition or they literally are so gummed up in the works that they cannot produce enough processors to meet the most basic supply requirements, and Intel is still far from that dire of a situation, but I digress.)

So that way, when Microsoft's negotiation time rolls along and new contracts are to be brokered for a new product refresh, they can effectively say (removing the diplomatic filtering and lengthy legalese) to Intel, "If you don't supply us (fill in the blank) for this much for this product line, we'll just go to our other partner AMD who has offered to cut us a far better deal. And just so you can understand our development timelines, we make long-term commitments for the sake of our business customers who require long-term hardware commitment to simplify device maintenance and technical support for their IT staff. So bear in mind that once we make the switch to AMD for this product line, internally, we will also be fully committing ourselves to using AMD's processor family and system platform for that Surface product line now and in its subsequent releases for at least the next five years."

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    desertlap, daddyfish and nnthemperor like this.
  6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Same can be said for ARM and WOA...

7. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

So from where we sit, two observations.

1. FWIW, MS seems to be leaning really hard in to ARM, experience with the Pro X not withstanding. Specifically going down the route of trying to make their own chip designs, Ala, Apple

I see a ton of challenges with that, first and foremost being that at least publicly showing they don't a have "bench" so to speak of engineering to quickly do that, unlike Apple who did, going all the way back to the Power PC days where they were participants in design, and of course experience with iPods and iPhone.

So purely observationally, based on the years I've worked with them, MS tends to "telegraph their punches" . What I mean by that is that they start talking to their customers and developers in "future terms" and right now it's all ARM all the time.

They did this type of thing most recently prior to the release of the Duo, where the volume of conversation around "mobile" increased dramatically.

2. The problem is that MS also tends to follow an idea and then abandon it when they get any serious blowback on it. I could list the number of times, that's happened, but those here could all name a bunch.

And to that point, the latest rumor we have heard is that the Duo may be a "one and done" device and wont go forward. They apparently aren't giving up on Android per se, as that same rumor is that they are working on a single display device, with ideas from the long rumored surface phone.

And of course, collateral damage is that apparently part of that backtrack is getting away from dual screen devices, which means the Neo is likely DOA.

OTOH, We know as we've heard it from our own customers, that they are looking for a "corporate approved" alternative to Apple or Samsung in mobile devices. Implicit in that is that MS will continue the integration of all things O365 and Azure in to their Android offerings.

TLDR for this thread, the talk once again is that successor to the Go will likely be a MS ARM device (probably one of the first Windows X devices too)

Again the above is based on rumor and speculation, so take as such.

PS: There is likely some chip engineering expertise currently residing in the Azure group that just so far hasn't been very public facing.

PPS: The source for a lot of these rumors is the same that accurately predicted what turned out to be the Surface Pro 7 +

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

So, maybe we get an ARM based Surface Pro 12 with Thunderbolt 3 (on the cusp of Thunderbolt 6)...that looks something like this...

[​IMG]

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

This was precisely my experience "upgrading" from a Go to a Go2. I don't think we'll be seeing a Go3 until next year.

I have been so pleased with the performance of my Go2 that I am leary of the change over to ARM. Hopefully, Microsoft has some idea of increasing performance from the 2 model. Even at that, a part of me thinks that an updated Intel CPU with current generation graphics would be far superior to anything ARM based that MS will build.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  10. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I agree with you, why mess with a good thing, especially since right now at least, it's the best selling surface product. OTOH if MS can actually pull off something even 2/3rds of what Apple did with M1, a MS ARM based Go would be quite compelling.

Big if in that statement, and would be a hard no, if it's just a variant of the current SQ1/2 chip. Although Windows 10x will help as well, given that people are getting respectable performance even hacking it on to old lumias.