Surface Go 2 Discussion Thread (May 2020)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 6, 2020.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

No question I needed LTE, so, yea, whatever it cost.

dstrauss likes this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@Tams - that's not just a MS thing, EVERY vendor charges a hefty fee for LTE...

nnthemperor likes this.
  3. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

I mean, I did say just that.

dstrauss likes this.
  4. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, yes but do you actually realize other oems also ask high prices for lte?

:p

nnthemperor, dstrauss and Bronsky like this.
  5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

So, does the replacement of Intel's CEO promise any significant improvement in the future of the Surface line?

nnthemperor likes this.
  6. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

"And it's quite common."

Just... ugghhh. I don't like that LTE comes at such a greater cost. Now let's end this here before I get too ranty.

7. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, possibly. Besides that there is still a lot to win if go to 10nm chips / newer generation. Surface Go managed to pump out decent performance from these old generations (even igpu from the pentiums), so I am curious what performance they can cram out if they put a Tiger Lake m/y chip in it.

8. wytn

wytn Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey,

I've been having an external SSD problem with my Go 2 for a while:

i often/usually have an external M2/NVMe to USB 3.1 SSD plugged (docked with external monitor/etc) and it seems like what happens is this drive regularly and repeatedly gets disconnected, and it can have many many times per day (a bit afraid i'll end up with corrupcted data).

To explain a bit further: I do not have this problem with this external SSD with any other machine/laptop i used it, either plugged via USB-C to USB-C or USB-C to USB-A.

I also do not have the problem with the external HDDs i used plugged to the Go2.

On the Go 2, i tried having it plugged directly on USB-C, or via USB-A on the Microsoft dock V1 OR via a powered USB-A dock plugged to the MS Dock. I tried different USB-A and USB-C cables too. (The enclosure is USB-C, it came with two cables, USB-C/USB-C and USB-C/USB-A)

It was a while ago and as i haven't been using the Go 2 in this setup lately (Docked+peripherals) some other details might be rather fuzzy... I remember i would notice it was disconnected when hearing the little re-connection ping notification.

I wanted to take another look at it if i start using it in this setup again (dock + monitor/peripherals). To see if i can notice some patterns or refresh my memory about it..

Right now i tried to find the "USB suspend" settings from the advanced power options but i see some options like USB Suspend don't appear on the Go 2 (like they appear on a Win 10 laptop i have).
    It might just be on purpose on the Go 2 but i have no idea. i tried a PowerShell command to make it appear but it didn't work.

So yeah.. In case anyone had a similar problem and perhaps solved it or some suggestions?

I thought of replacing this external M2 by a 2"5 external SSD but i liked the M2 more compact size.

// i currently don't have any 2"5 SSD lying around but i could get one that isn't currently in use from some other machine... to test and see if the problem appear again. I'll see if i can motivate myself to do that..

9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

@wytn : How is your external SSD formatted? FAT or NTFS?

10. wytn

wytn Scribbler - Standard Member

It's NTFS.