Surface Go 2 Discussion Thread (May 2020)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 6, 2020.

1. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

Many of my gripes with it aren't with Samsung, they're with Android; the OS and its ecosystem. And almost whatever Samsung do, it's likely going to feel tacked on/like a skin. For a great desktop experience, they'd probably have to go with Tizen and make sure that they have good app coding requirements (dynamically scalable apps, etc.)

And even then, stuff like drivers for hardware would be hit or miss.

Edit: And Samsung won't and shouldn't abandon the Galaxy Store as, as others have mentioned, that just gives Google/Alphabet/whatever their name de jour is too much power. In fact, the Galaxy Store is a major pain in Google's side and they can't even pay Samsung to end it. Same with Tizen (and LG with WebOS). They'd be stupid to scrap them.

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I was finally able to overheat my Go2. Funny, but I don't think that it was the CPU that throttled. Instead, I think it was the graphics chip that throttled and reset on me. When I looked at the Hardware Monitor, it was clear that I had pegged the CPU to 100% utilization and had been operting in the 77C range. I think the M3 chip throttles at that temperature. So, I finally hit the limits of the 10" tablet that could.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
    sonichedgehog360 and dellaster like this.
  3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I finally hit the limits of the 10" tablet that could...>>

Who were you suing...?

4. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

5. Bronsky

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    sonichedgehog360 and Steve S like this.
  6. Bronsky

So you have a comparison, here is the hardware monitor from a Zoom-like deposition (the software is called remote legal) video with 5 attendees and exhibits shown on a sidebar. Transcription was in real time. The Go2 took it all in its stride and let me work on a reply brief on the side during the 6 hour deposition. The CPU was pegging at 100% but the temps stayed in the 60C range. This device is amazing.
    [​IMG]

7. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks. Things have been stable even with zoom, which leads me to think that that was an anomaly.

Anyway, MS needs to find a way to bring the Intel SGo line into the SPX design form without compromising anything. Was the SPX that slim that the M3 cannot be fitted into it. We need a 10" SPX, period. They can forget all about the Neo for now.

Sent from my SM-N975C using Tapatalk

Bronsky and dstrauss like this.
  8. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, there was an article on WC from 2019 where they compared the HP Envy x2 Arm version with the Intel one and the Intel one was slightly thicker (7.88 mm vs 6.86 mm), for comparison the Pro X is 7.3 mm thick.

nnthemperor likes this.
  9. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

Okay this may be a weird question, but which model of the Go 2 is the one to get the best bang for buck to play older or indie games on it? (Go 1 just as expensive here so I am ignoring that one.)

To put it into context: I would not only be using it for games but the other things are lightweight and more dependent on weight and screen. My wifi is bad so I cannot stream from desktop to tablet properly. Storage is not a priority, more a nice to have (I can use a MicroSD to expand it which would give reading/writing speeds of 70-85 MB/s and 44-55 MB/s, according to WC, slightly slower loading speeds but I can live with that). The m3 does not seem much faster on the graphics front (20%) compared to the pentium, but cpu is about 2/3 faster. So far this would nudge me towards the cheapest model.
    Now what I find complex here is ram. The igpu needs ram too, might need more than 4 gb ram to play certain games properly. I mostly tend to play strategy (turn based or real time, eg Firaxis Xcom to give an example) titles on my current Surface Pro 1 (4gb ram, i5) and had a case where it crashed with a game when I increased video resolution above 1024x768 or such (which I think is related to ram).

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  10. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

FWIW, Zoom has had significant "growing pains"over the last year. In their struggle to update security issue and fix feature gaps, efficient clean running code hasn't been a priority. We have two people in our organization that are Zoom advocates (generally) and both have been part of the private beta test group for that last two years.

Both used to be among the first to install a new version until this year and now they are among the last...

TLDR: if your device is not doing Zoom well, it's far more likely it's a Zoom issue not your system:(

Bronsky likes this.