Surface Go 2 Discussion Thread (May 2020)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 6, 2020.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

The October update seems to have solved my battery issue. It still loses some life in sleep mode but in a more acceptable range (only minutes on my Battery Bar, not hours). Oddly though, I don't think my device hybernates. It stays in sleep mode no matter how long it is left idle.

Edit: Finally hybernated last night. Update has the Go2 working correctly again. Wonder when it went off the rails?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  2. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

This video shows some helpful benchmarks between Surface Go 2 pentium and M3 variants and also compares them to macbook air 2020 etc. Not mentioned in this specific video but for reference; the Go2 pentium already is 50% faster single core wise (geekbench 5) than the Go1 pentium and about 10% faster in multi core tests.

3. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just snagged a lightly used SGo2 M-3 LTE on swappa for $560. Couldn't resist the urge for a more powerful Go with LTE. Love the size of this thing. Now for the long wait for the item to really get to me here in Japan.

Sent from my CPH1943 using Tapatalk

4. nnthemperor

Well, didn't take long for me to give in. Not with all the cool guys here rocking an SGo2.

dellaster, dstrauss and Bronsky like this.
  5. nnthemperor

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Get it yet? I'm curious to see how much more you like it than the GO.

nnthemperor likes this.
  7. nnthemperor

Not yet. Will report as soon as I have it in my hands.

Bronsky likes this.
  8. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So this is interesting in the vein of the old expression "man plans, God laughs...."

The base level Go2 sales have taken off like a rocket and is currently the best selling model. Our MS reps 100% attribute it to Covid and the explosion of work from home. My contact at Best Buy confirmed similar information, eg. it's their best selling go and that all lower end systems have a had a big jump in sales.

Of course you have to wonder if this will sustain, and also if other manufacturers will renew their interest in low/midrange windows tablets again.

9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

OK - I can have a base model SG2 with real Windows 10, or a Chromebook...let me think about that for a minute...well, maybe 30 seconds...

nnthemperor likes this.
  10. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, not that straightforward .. Low and mid level chrome books are selling out like crazy too.

And to be honest, if I was in education especially and more generally if the device was being used primarily as a Zoom device, I'd opt for the Chromebook. Much easier generally especially for someone like a teacher to manage and maintain without becoming an active directory expert. And Chromebooks more so than any modern device really can fix about 99% of their problems with either a restart or worst case, a power wash.

I'm not arguing that they are a better computing solution overall, but in the right applications and circumstances they have a much better TCO

PS: Windows X is the best option for MS to change that

nnthemperor likes this.