Surface Go 2 Discussion Thread (May 2020)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 6, 2020.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Anybody have an LTE model and experiencing significant battery drain while sleeping?..>>

@Bronsky : Not sure if it applies to your question, since I have a Go (1) LTE, but no, my battery life during sleep appears to be quite good. For what it's worth, my Go is fully updated...

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

This is a Hanukkah level miracle.

Bishop, Chris_Kez and Bronsky like this.
  3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I would have to agree. In sleep mode, I can loose an hour of battery life over a day or so when the Go2 sits in the briefcase in sleep mode. I have taken to shutting it down completely when I'm putting it away, which is annoying.

Steve, I have mine updated as well. I wonder if I have a wrong setting somewhere that is draining the battery?

4. Bergman

Bergman Scribbler - Standard Member

well for the naysayers.... I specifically left it off of the charger after I got done working yesterday. So I unplugged it with full battery at 5pm yesterday. I turned it on this morning at 610am and I have 98%v battery. Scoff at it if you want, I was just trying to honestly answer your question.

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Is that solely in sleep mode, or does it hibernate fairly quickly?

6. Bergman

I don't do hibernate. Also I don't use the Microsoft keyboard cover any longer. I am using a Brydge.

7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

They were just riding you. Are you shutting your unit down or sleeping it? I'm talking about when it is asleep. When it is shut down, I loose virtually no battery life.

Edit: just saw your post.

Dale. Mine seems stay in sleep mode for a long time. I can't recall it going into hibernate. I guess it will if i leave it over night. I'll have to give it a try. Maybe that's the issue.

8. Bergman

Well assuming my Windows battery meter may be slightly off I ran the powercfg battery report to confirm. I don’t want to go through the hassle of posting a picture here but the 24 hour window of details reports an hour by hour percent drop. Overnight I had three different battery drops and the rest of the hours show as zero. The drops were 3%, 1%, and 2%. So based on that my actual battery should be 94% when I turned it on this morning. I don’t do a power down, and don’t use hibernate at all as that can cause issues. I simply remove the device from the Surface dock and close the tablet on to the keyboard. I am assuming that it stays in sleep mode overnight. Can’t tell you much more than that.

edit: I specifically remove all instances of hibernate from the power settings detail and I always do this for all my laptops from years ago. Now it could be doing some sort of deep sleep but if it is there is nothing in the settings I am doing here.

9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Bronsky - Could it be the LTE modem staying active in an always on state?

10. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, Maybe the attached type cover sips some energy through the pogo pins even when the tablet is in sleep? The Brydge keyboard is Bluetooth based right?
    With my pro1 I need (or needed perhaps) to delay attaching the type cover for a sec when I hibernate/sleep it otherwise the tablet stays on (I doubt newer devices have this issue but perhaps something in the same vein?).

There is also a setting which disables (or partially disables) wifi during sleep, could be related.