Surface Go 2 Discussion Thread (May 2020)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 6, 2020.

1. downeaster59

downeaster59 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm typing this post with my Surface Go 2 and its new Brydge companion perched on my lap!

I'm not going to talk about specs, as anyone can look those up. I'm going to talk about how the Brydge keyboard, paired with my Go 2, looks and feels.

When I look at the Go 2 with its black bezels and silver trim, and then see the Brydge, black with silver trim, it looks like the Brydge could have been bundled by Microsoft to go with the Go 2. The looks are well-matched. Nothing about this says "third party device".

If you like working with a laptop as it sits on your lap, the Brydge is worlds ahead of the Type Cover. You don't need to use the Go's stand. The combo sits in my lap and feels stable. There is some slight bounce as I type, but not enough to be a problem. Less bounce than I get with the Type Cover.

Heaviness? The Brydge looks thinner than the Go 2 and feels lighter. It feels heavier than the Type Cover, but I wouldn't call it subjectively heavy. It's heavy enough to be stable, but it does not seem overweight.

The Brydge is backlit, though you can turn that feature on or off. There are three levels of brightness, which is a nice touch.

Typing is a pleasure. Granted that I have relatively thin fingers - which helps on a smaller keyboard - but the Brydge keyboard does not feel cramped to me. The amount of travel in the keys feels just right. The keys are not noisy - no annoyingly loud clacking. It feels like a high quality device.

You can control display brightness, audio volume, and a few other functions with the fn keys.

The trackpad works very well. I wish it were just a tad larger, but that's a minor quibble. It's slightly noisier than the keys are, though.

It feels fairly easy to slide the Go in and out of the Brydge's clamps. They seem secure without being too tight.

If the Brydge keyboard proves to be reliable, it will definitely be a keeper for me. I suspect I will use it most of the time with my Go from now on. The only advantage that the Type Cover has is that it's lighter, but the Brydge keyboard has just enough weight to be a lap-friendly device, and no more weight than it needs. If saving as much weight as possible matters most to you, go with the Type Cover. If anything else does, try the Brydge. This is a winner.

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Now that's what I'm talkin' about.:newpalm: Great review. Thanks.

3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

With our asian partners the rumors have cranked up again that the Go 3/Surface X will be WOA based....possibly one of the first Windows X devices

4. yodamiked

yodamiked Do or do not. There is no try.

On some of the earlier reviews, people were having rouble keeping the keyboard in the inclined position (seemed that the magnets in the type cover weren’t strong enough to attach under the screen). Curious if any updates in that regard (ie was it just a few defective units?)

5. Bronsky

No issue here. I have the black cover though.

I am seriously conflicted by this news and its persistence.

yodamiked likes this.
  6. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Can you even get WordPerfect to function in WOA?

7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no,.....NOOOOOOOOOO! Please Panos, keep the Go series a REAL WinTel device...pretty please.

8. Bronsky

I don't know. I'm assuming it can run in emulation.

9. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Are we talking the DOS Wordperfect ? That would be a no.DOS apps in general dont run because the emulation doesn't include of a lot os DOS level functions but instead relies on Windows kernel based replacements I don't know about the Windows version, but I'm doubtful there too given the age of the API's and DLLs it uses

10. Bronsky

We use the current version of Windows WordPerfect. I wish Corel would update it for emerging OS's but with only .02% of the market it probably isn't going to happen.

WillAdams likes this.