Surface Go 2 Discussion Thread (May 2020)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 6, 2020.

1. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

, for me Acronis did not work well the last time I used, but Macrium Reflect (free version) did wonders. Here are some more options: https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/2qfzlx/disk_cloning_tool_best_software/

Concerning the near-infinite lists for specific apps, if you would use a desktop/x86 program (/non UWP/modern app) it misses all these privacy options. So you should see this as an extra privacy feature of modern/UWP apps which older programs lack. You could just ignore them if your fine with how older programs worked.

ps: if you're a heavy Start Menu user with lots of tiles, there is also a way to manual copy paste these settings to an other pc (a specific file).

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    wytn likes this.
  2. cmergel

cmergel IT Mgr. / DBA by trade.

Well took the plunge. Arrives Monday (M3/8GB/128GB). Just through the MS store.

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Congratulations! It's a great device.

cmergel likes this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Welcome to the club @cmergel - think you're going to find it's a great device, as @Bronsky said. It's one of those devices that far exceeds the sum of its parts.

As I sit here using my SG2 with a dock 1 and two 27" monitors; OneNote, Edge, Outlook, and two Word Docs open, I ran across this video about the "ease" of multitasking on my iPad Pro 11 - I'll bet all of you are "snort laughing" as loud as I am within the first minute...

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    cmergel and Chris_Kez like this.
  5. dstrauss

I'm also thinking about the Surface Pro X at this moment and two thoughts come to mind:
    1. Other than the big beautiful screen and the slim pen holding keyboard, what does the SPX give you over the SG2?
    2. What a beast the SPX would be with a fanless i3 or i5 and all that battery space, given the bump in performance we got with the m3 SG2.

nnthemperor likes this.
  6. JoeS

JoeS New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

A major bump in battery life for one!

dstrauss likes this.
  7. dstrauss

On a bigger and heavier frame, with a slower processor, and incompatibilities out the wazoo...:rolleyes:

8. dstrauss

That last post got my quarantine brain agitated - when does a "tablet" quit being a "tablet" anymore? Now with 2-in-1 and clamshell laptops dipping under 3 pounds, and former tablets now clad in keyboard armor (iPad Pro 11 and 12.9, Surface Pro) heading towards 3 pounds, why are they tablets anymore, but just another form of "laptop?" In effect, only the Surface Go 2, iPad Pro 11 (with smaller smart keyboard) and the various Samsung A Series tablets are truly "tablets" any more.

A difference without meaning? Or are we in effect dividing between 3 pound and 2 pound devices at this point?

nnthemperor likes this.
  9. daddyfish

, besides battery life the Pro X runs cooler I read (=also less battery bloating) and stuff like lte is better according to WC. Pro X still seems like a great device if you can live with WOA. The real disadvantage to me is the price your paying for that handicap. If it would be a mid-tier device it would make more sense to me.

I can imagine MS decreasing the bezels for the Pro 8 like they did with the Go 2. They probably won't make it as thin as the Pro X though.

10. daddyfish

, is my Pro 1 (>1 kg with keyboard) a tablet or a laptop? :p

I think the difference is the detachable keyboard, but for me personally the weight when using it as a tablet in your hands is the most important factor (and of course no sharp metal edges which some 2-1's have).

wytn, Bronsky and dstrauss like this.