Surface Go 2 Discussion Thread (May 2020)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 6, 2020.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Now, back to more fun stuff, and another problem:

I saw some translated Japanese site touting the fall arrival of the ThinkPad X1 Fold, with or without Windows 10x. They were citing supply chain rumors and Lenovo leaks that they are still on target to release in 2020, well in advance of the Neo. It was apparently sparked by another report from Lenovo that they are working on a larger two screen hinged Yoga as well. They did make a great point, which now has me stumped, that you need a second screen to take notes while in that Zoom conference - a fact that has me hobbled with my SG2.

The SG2 has the best videoconference camera I've ever used, BUT then I have to bust out the iPad or a yellow notepad to take notes - something so basic yet I hadn't thought about it before. Thus, the OBVIOUS superiority of the Neo, ThinkPad X1 Fold, or some other two screen device. Maybe I should heed my own advice to @Bronsky and @Mesosphere and buy a second SG2 and some duct tape....:confused:o_O:eek:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    wytn, Chris_Kez, Marty and 4 others like this.
  2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...This nonesense gets worse and worse...>>

Pretty much sums up 2020, no...?

"...Is there an updated version of 2020 that we can install? This one seems to have a virus..."

lovelaptops, wytn, Bronsky and 5 others like this.
  3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

:rolleyes: So 2020 is the May Creators update of world history??

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

OMG - we are living inside a MS software lab - Matrix much...

nnthemperor likes this.
  5. Steve S

<<...has anyone noticed any battery charging issues after installing 2004 (20H1)?..>>

So, just to close this out, I've been watching the state of charge on my Go(1) for a few days now and it is now consistently charging to 100% overnight. Since I am absolutely certain that it was only charging to 50% early on, I can only surmise that it must be some odd interaction between the Go and my third-party Hyperjuice charger. I don't know what changed, but to paraphrase a comment that I made earlier, USB-C can be so weird sometimes...

It's probably worth noting that in all other ways, 2004 has been performing without problems on my Go.

nnthemperor and darkmagistric like this.
  6. Bergman

Bergman Scribbler - Standard Member

I am a heavy Acrobat user, do a lot of PDF edits, creates, and combines during the course of the day. My company uses the subscription version however so it may be different if you just buy it. The main issue with Adobe is they load a couple of background tasks at start up and I always delete those after doing an install to keep them from pounding my battery. Once you have it installed, I would suggest opening task manager and look at what Adobe loads at start up. Personally i remove all of that as I don't need them monitoring for application updates in the background all the time, and i don't need the Creative Cloud service running either. That lets you sync PDF files to your cloud account but I use other cloud file sync services and doth need that one.

desertlap, Chris_Kez and dstrauss like this.
  7. wytn

wytn Scribbler - Standard Member

I've been using my Go1 'docked' (with external display, USB-Hub etc) for some time again...
    When i could use instead any other more powerful laptop/PC i already have... But i haven't been doing any CPU/GPU intensive task lately.

Although I found myself surprised when browsing with Firefox with an insane number of tabs open (had forgotten to install my usual extension that i use on every PC/laptop/etc to limit the numver of opened tabs so i don't end up with one or two hundred...)
    The good "surprise" was i forgot i've had this "Auto Tab Discard" extension installed, which 'unload'/put to sleep unused tabs and i didn't even notice i had been keeping tabs open like a maniac.... as the Go1 was handling it well. Anyway: Useful extension!

And.. i love this little device a lot? I've been appreciating even more than before somehow. I think it's finding myself using it more as a 'main' device on my desk etc. It's also generally very well made/conceived.

I still want/feel like upgrading to the Go2 M3... but i find it hard to justify replacing it so soon in my case :(

Also still a bit unsure of the real performances of that M3 and what exactly it could handle in terms of more CPU heavy tasks.

(Sighs, I should try to look for a buyer for my Go1...)

JoeS likes this.
  8. wytn

wytn Scribbler - Standard Member

OK, question as i'm not very used to recent Win10's features.

Is there an easy way to move most of one user account's files AND config/settings from one device to another? I don't use any MS account as login but i could turn it on then off if required?

9. Steve S

10. Steve S

<<...Is there an easy way to move most of one user account's files AND config/settings from one device to another?..>>

@wytn : In the right fly-out panel, open All Settings > Accounts > Sync Your Settings (last option on the far left). Note that both devices must be operating under the same Microsoft account.

You can move your files via OneDrive, if you wish, or use a thumb drive and transfer the files manually...

wytn likes this.