Surface General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Steve S, Jul 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. connman

connman Scribbler - Standard Member

If indeed the Surface Mini is launching tomorrow (or being unveiled), I am surprised there is so little buzz about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

For what it's worth, the Build schedule is listed online now:

Build 2014 | Channel 9

There is definitely a huge focus on Windows Phone and Xbox, but there's a bit of Windows and Office stuff in there as well (and of course, these sessions don't take into account the keynotes).

In fact, in addition to the cryptic teases on this forum here, Tom Warren from The Verge is posting on the forums there that:

So, we'll see what happens soon. :D

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  3. be77solo

be77solo Scribbler - Standard Member

They went RT eh with the mini? Was sure dreaming of a Bay Trail version. :(

4. connman

Boo hiss... Was hoping for Surface Mini !!

5. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Yeah...no announcement....it was even a part of the Keynote when Satya was speaking that sounded like he might...oh well

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I sense a small retreat coming on hardware from Microsoft. The continued absence of the Surface mini; renewed focus on being platform agnostic; "free" versions of Windows for anything under 9" diagonal screen; write once, play everywhere; no mention of ANY OTHER SURFACE form factors (desktop, laptop, more tablets) - this all really looks like a retreat, or at least a severe flanking maneuver, to get back to software and cloud computing. The champions of "personal" computing are leading the charge to the smart client future where your device is merely a screen into their network and software...I thought we broke that mold permanently in the 80's...:eek:

Windows...the "new" Chrome OS...

7. connman

If this be the case and there will be no Surface mini, I wish they could just come out and say so. :)

Back in October, they were hinting at several different form factors for Surface tablets.

Still holding out some hope for some good news today.

8. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Is that what you really took away? I saw a double down, especially with regards to Universal Apps. The same App available across Phone, Client (x86 and ARM) and Xbox. Rumor was Phone 8.1 would share 78% API Parity with Client but the announcement was 95% API Parity, that's huge now that WinRT is the foundation of Phone 8.1 Development.

Also the DEMOs were done on Surface 2s and Pro 2s (except the Desktop Demo)...

9. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yeah, I honestly don't think it means anything with regards to Microsoft's positions on hardware. Like I mentioned before, they've always announced Surface stuff at their own separate events. And the story of this event isn't supposed to be hardware, it's supposed to be developers and how Microsoft is supporting them.

10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

There are no experts on this forum that I respect more than you two guys, and I know for a fact you often have inside info that we mere mortals lack, but that is my take-away on the subject. The 78% API parity will be a boon for developers, but I fear much like the recently released Office for iPad, and the hard driven insistence on using a Microsoft account for OS upgrades and Office 365 installs, with the corollary effect of driving everything to OneDrive, makes me more than suspicious of where the software train is headed. I realize BUILD is not about hardware per se, but where they drive developers is a precursor of hardware support, and it really feels like a cloud-centric world. Perhaps I overstated the hypothesis with the analogy to thin clients, because the best work still has to be done in software on the device, but I see a deprecated future for that scenario, and more of a backend horsepower solution akin to thin-clients.

But, I'm usually wrong about most things tech...:confused: :eek: :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.