Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

[​IMG]

2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Another "comparison" between the Surface Duo and the Galaxy Fold 2.

First of all, I don't think they have had real hands on with either device especially the Duo. Thus their comparisons are based on specs which everyone here knows doesn't always tell the entire tale.

To give just one publicly known example, they talk about battery life basing it purely on size. of the battery. But they don't take in to account several things including the fact that because of basic engineering constraints its costs more power to light a single screen versus two that are roughly the same size.

They also ignore both the MS software commits and information already has shared about things MS has done to optimize power consumption including custom hardware.

I could go on, but it irks me that some of what is most definitely speculation is often stated as close to fact.

Last but not least, even though I really was hoping to see the Duo come out with a $1k price (and which was rumored for along time until it wasn't ) it's not actually overpriced nor is the Fold for that matter.

We have become accustomed to pricing in mobile devices that while they have been on a upward trend in the last couple of years the pricing Is in line with with what is a fairly stable form factor and has been several years. Yes they have been getting incrementally bigger screens and getting bit thinner, but those are just tweaks.

The fold most definitely, but the duo which has the hinge for instance which is successor of the hinge in the Surface book line, both introduce significant new tech to the mobile space and new tech always has a significant premium to them. Wether it's "worth it" is a much more subjective question.

Anyway, enough musing for Monday morning, link to the Toms Guide below
    https://www.tomsguide.com/news/microsoft-surface-duo-vs-samsung-galaxy-z-fold-2

PS: yes Im aware of the sprinkling of dual screen android devices already out there such as a few LG thinQs, but the Duo displays are in an entirely different league, not to mention how thin the duo is either flat or folded compared to any of those.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    nnthemperor and darkmagistric like this.
  3. Bishop

My wife gave me the stink eye when I brought a Studio 2 home last year. (Gutted and renovated kitchen and master bath later) the Studio was the best tech decision I made. It's been a gem enabling me to do my day job from my home office. Makes me wish I had one at work....

4. desertlap

And just to throw some rumor based engineering information in to the discussion. One issue that MS apparently has solved that Samsung is still working through is interference and ghosting with pen tech on either two very closely spaced or back to back screens.

In other words, the reason the fold doesn't already have an s-pen is that in any other position but flat, the pen doesn't track properly.

Again, this is definitely in the rumor based speculation realm, but we've also heard it from multiple sources.:)

5. desertlap

Every time I go in to Best Buy I play with their demo unit. The only thing that has kept me from buying one so far is how locked in I am to a laptop/tablet workflow

nnthemperor likes this.
  6. Bishop

BTW And in hopes either Microsoft is lurking here or the tech blogs will pick up on a reply from @desertlap -

There needs to be more clarity about Cortana's role and capabilities on Duo. I understand many of the "productivity" features are being baked into Office (Clippy anyone?) but what about the rest?
    [​IMG]

Deprecating Cortana at the same time MS is going back into the not-a-phone phone device space is at best disconcerting. It will be a huge productivity fail if users have to resort to Google Assistant to fill in gaps that result from the shrinking of Cortana.

nnthemperor likes this.
  7. desertlap

@Bishop From what we have been able to glean, it's not that MS is deprecating Cortana per se, but moving the primary and secondary functionality in to the OS for Windows or in to their apps directly on mobile.

For instance with the latest early dev build for the Pro X, pairing the surface head phones is much more like apples methods with the AirPods and the controls for things like noise cancelling etc. are integrated in to the bluetooth controls.

PS: Cortana is basically baked in to the OS for the Duo.

nnthemperor likes this.
  8. Bishop

Lew gets my point about screen size, ratio and relative positions. Wasn't aware of him; will have to check him out in the future. Thanks for the pointer @negative1

9. Bishop

Thank you @desertlap. That's encouraging the functionality will exist; now will someone please teach Microsoft how to tell the story (<cough> marketing <cough>) without sounding like they're taking something away....

nnthemperor and desertlap like this.
  10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

What would a stock analyst pay for a peek at Page 2 of Shilpa's Notebook

Annotation 2020-08-17 083139_LI.jpg

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020