Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Unfortunately, according to Verizon the Galaxy Note 20 Ultra is $1299.99. Since it is only the 128 GB model the 1399.99 Surface Duo compares. I have a sneaking suspicion though that BOTH are overpriced.

nnthemperor likes this.
  2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Its competes in being over Priced and being a penabled android option, but the Note 20 Ultra blows the doors off the Duo spec wise. The Camera's, screen refresh rate, the cpu, the ram, pen silo, etc and since the Note 20 Ultra retains a traditional cell phone form factor, its a seamless fit in anyone's life. The Duos form factor brings that into question.

As a Note 9 user, I have complete faith that the Note 20 Ultra or even just the Note 20 will perfectly and fully serve every use case my Note 9 does and be a utterly perfect replacement for it.

As a Note 9 user, I absolutely cannot say the same about the Duo. Its too much of a gamble for too much money. The Note 20 is more or less a proven recipe. That puts it in a better position to command a higher price.

And this is also very important given the trade in deals. Microsoft, Samsung, and Best Buy are all basically honoring the same trade-in deals. My Note 9 will get me $550 off either the Duo or the Note 20/20 Ultra.

Since the Note 20/20 Ultra will perfectly replace my Note 9, the trade is an easy choice to make. But the Duo, given how I'm not sure just how well the Duo will fit into my routine and life, I would not be comfortable forgoing my Note 9 for the Duo.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
    dceggert likes this.
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Yes, both are overpriced. Unfortunately this is not a case of apples to apples - the Duo has to have a pen to be comparable. Now you're up $250 on the Note 20. It's tough no matter how you price these devices.

nnthemperor and darkmagistric like this.
  4. darkmagistric

I'd add to that, at least with the Silo S-pen, you always have the pen. I much prefer using my larger EMR pens on my Note 9, but whats that saying..."the best pen is the pen you have with you".

The Duo since it has no way to stow the pen is at an immediate disadvantage. Additionally, since they are promoting it with the Slim Pen, any 3rd party case option will likely accommodate the slim pen. However since Microsoft didn't incorporate any way to charge the Slim Pen from the Duo, unless you specifically remember to charge the pen before you go, or carry along the included charging cradle, you could very feasibly end up with a dead pen when you need it most. These covid times aside, if you're out about the whole day, thats a serious disadvantage to the Duo. I can attest first hand with both my Note 9 and Surface Pro 5, the bluetooth battery life indicators are very very unreliable. I'm kind of surprised no one else here is as dismayed as I clearly am by the lack of anyway to easily charge the Slim Pen from the Duo. Like they finally got the Surface Pen to near EMR levels, and created a stupidly perfect way to charge it, and yet they are just not using it.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
    dstrauss likes this.
  5. negative1

negative1 Retro Surface fan

lew's take on the 35 minute video:

later

Bishop likes this.
  6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Like the Surface Studios are clearly the worst performing member of the Surface Family...>>

This insult cannot go unavenged! Our Studio 2 has lived in our house for almost two years now, and I've had the opportunity to watch my wife use it daily... literally 7/12/365. I maintain it and get occasional time to use it. It performs great and it is hardly the worst performer in the house; that honor goes to my Pro X, which is doing better after I reset it, but is still gimped by not being able to install 2004. People who fixate on the processor as the measure of a computing device make the mistake that a computer is a system, and the system design and it's balance is what determines performance.

My Studio 2 demands an apology...!!!

nnthemperor, Bronsky and Marty like this.
  7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

And that brings me to the Duo. Since placing my order, I've sat back from the discussion and spent my time thinking about how I use my smart phone. In particular, I thought about how often I use my smart phone as a phone, as opposed to using it for e-mail, web searches, simple gaming and particularly... texting. Maybe I'm the wild data point, but I almost never make or receive phone calls ( not counting nuisance / scam phone calls). I only made one call last week, and that week wasn't atypical. However, I'm constantly on my e-mail account and writing texts, and when I'm not doing either of those things, I'm web surfing. Occasional gaming fills in some of the remaining time.

Interestingly, Lew's comments in the video above, echo some of this same usage pattern; his comments resonate with me.

So I'm planning to keep an open mind about the Duo and it's utility for me. If Microsoft provides at least a decent UI experience, I might be pretty happy with the Duo. Time will tell...

nnthemperor, jnjroach, Bishop and 4 others like this.
  8. darkmagistric

My sincerest apologies to your Studio 2. I was referring however to its lack of profitability for Microsoft, not so much how well it performs in actual use. Dessertlaps insider knowledge indicates that financially its the biggest loser in Microsoft's Surface catalog. Its a good thing the Studio 2 performs admirably for you...since I'd wager its increasingly unlikely we'll ever get a Studio 3.

nnthemperor and Steve S like this.
  9. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, at that price I would instantly buy that (if it had an integrated pen), I like wide aspect ratio's too on phones. But no way MS would have brought that on the market for <= 600 if they release the Duo for 1400, more like 800-1000. Personally I think that the folding technique is useful but it did no doubt increase costs a lot.

10. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The thing I LOVE about the Duo, is that it should fit into the trend of multi-tasking. Sorry, did I say multi-tasking? I meant fidget browsing. People can be watching their favourite TV show and, at the same time, be sending short messages to their 'massive'. It's the perfect device for today's media browsing, quick fix society.

If they'd priced it a lot lower it would sell an absolute tonne.

On another note, Microsoft had BETTER create a version of Minecraft that uses both screens. They failed to grasp that avenue with Windows Mobile, so I do hope they go for the MC crowd on this occasion.

nnthemperor, violajack and dstrauss like this.