Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

One of the biggest omissions the naysayers are forgetting is that Microsoft has added custom chips to offload functionality from the SoC. We also know that they've created specific custom code for Android to work with the custom hardware. Let's reserve some judgment for when we can use it in real world scenarios.

nnthemperor, daddyfish and Bishop like this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

"The design is far from being simple, the hardware is below par, and there is nothing extraordinary for an enthusiast smartphone photographer."
    1. The jerk has NEVER touched the Duo.
    2. Even a casual perusal of online video shows the processor holding up well with the various pairings.
    3. Where the hell does he get off with the last comment - it is clear this device is NOT for a an "enthusiast smartphone photographer" - reviewers like this are the epitome of "if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail" and they cannot even PROCESS different tools for different purposes...

nnthemperor and Bishop like this.
  3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Oh as would I, I would so plunk down $400 for a Duo. If anything, the Duo concept and its super high price point are too ambitious of Microsoft. Especially in light of this pandemic/high unemployed period we live in.

I've said this before, but sort of how they decided to hold off the Neo and refigure Windows 10X for single screen devices...Given the specs of the Duo they should have released half of damn thing as a Surface Solo instead. I would still have pocket-ability concerns given its overall footprint, but the main (and really only) benefit from using half of the Duo compared to something like a Galaxy Note 20 Ultra, is the aspect ratio. I hate how they ditched the near perfect aspect ratio on the Note 5 for the superwide/curved edge crap. I draw/use the s-pen alot less on my Note 8/9 then I did on my Note 5 because of this. Releasing half the Duo would, at a much more acceptable $400-$600 price point (dated specs an all) would be much easier for general phone users and Surface fans to jump onto then a Duo. It would still retain the normal phone form, and without the folding gimmick they could offer a more proper rear end camera solution. If such a device existed and was priced right, I'd would totally dump my Galaxy Note so fast, even for dated specs.

That really should have been step 1, they should have started with Solo, then gone to a Duo. And even from there they could go even a step further into a 3 screen Surface Throuple.

daddyfish likes this.
  4. darkmagistric

And many of us would love to use it in real world scenarios. But the price point keeps it out of reach of most of us in the real world. Like if we could have even gotten the base model for $899-ish, I probably would have pre-ordered one by now. $1400 starting is just too much, even for those of us fortunate enough to have bigger pockets.

nnthemperor likes this.
  5. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I believe the triple-screen Surface would be @JoeS' long-awaited "Surface Z":

[​IMG]

He's still waiting for OEMs to steal his idea. ;)

Edit: I just realized, they tried one-screen with Windows Phone and that didn't work out...

Now they're trying two-screens with the Duo, and if that doesn't work...hey third time's the charm, right? (worked for the SP3)

Just in time for Joe's idea to come to the rescue. :)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  6. darkmagistric

I'd still prefer the title of Surface Throuple, but something like the Z would be more likely. But a Z-form factor would actually solve the duo's biggest problem. With that front 3rd screen, when folded down it would basically be a normal cell phone. Alot like the front screen in the Galaxy Fold 2.

But as far as the failure of the Microsoft Lumia, that failed because it wasn't running Android, it ran that near useless Windows 10 Mobile. Panos even said in one of the Duo interviews that the Android App Market was the main reason the Duo is running Android. Had the Lumia had been a Surface Pen compatible Android Phone, it might have lasted alot longer.

daddyfish likes this.
  7. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

upload_2020-8-16_19-52-35.png

8. Bishop

I think that's illegal in Mississippi...

9. Bishop

[​IMG]

I grant you the app gap pinched sometimes, but technically, UI and camera wise ALL superior at that time to almost everything in the Android hardware space - for many of us.

10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Wrong ding dong, that's the only place it IS legal at least at the sub-cousin level...

nnthemperor and Bishop like this.