Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. dellaster

dellaster Non-Creative Plebe Senior Member

BTW, this was the original Duo image.
    upload_2020-8-15_19-44-1.jpeg
    It was difficult to find one that didn’t have it partially closed, minimizing the apparent size and reflectiveness of the spine.

nnthemperor likes this.
  2. dellaster

dellaster Non-Creative Plebe Senior Member

Agreed, it’s not likely to be much concern to most who have a real use for the Duo—they’re not buying for content consumption.

nnthemperor likes this.
  3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Ironically editing that photo would have been easier on the Surface Duo since you could use the Surface Pen and get the Hovering Cursor. I photo edit on my Note 9 all the time, I honestly couldn't even imagine doing any of it without the S-pen. #fatfingers

As far as watching videos, I don't think movies were intended to be watched across both screens like that. watching it on just one of the screens, and afixing the other screen in its Tent mode would be the preferable way I'd imagine.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    nnthemperor and Bishop like this.
  4. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

This thing takes two different kinds of SIM cards (esim-5 and nano sim). Will this need one for the phone and another for the data plan or are these just 'optional' as in choose one or the other? The ATT route only has one choice.

I also see that Verizon is supported even though the tech specs specify only ATT or T-mobile.

For me my Go 256/LTE has a cracked screen and I was thinking about replacing it with a Go2 business model at $850. Also, my Samsung S8 has been cracked for a while and my battery life is waning so a replacement would be needed soon (for me that is when it completely fails...my windows phone worked for about 3 years past this point!). An S10 is $750 and an S20 is $1400!

A new S10 + Go2 is $1600. A new S20 + Go is prohibitive (that's why they are being used cracked).

The S8 uses a nano sim card so I possibly could get away with a sim swap without changing plans (my plan is grandfathered). The big question is 'do I do anything with the Go with Windows that I cannot do with Android?' Yes, I have a database in Microsoft Access. I don't think Microsoft 365 for Android has Access.

nnthemperor likes this.
  5. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, the book is their device that let people drool over a surface device, that alone made it useful for Microsoft I think.

nnthemperor likes this.
  6. daddyfish

, well for a single screen of course only the looks, but I was thinking of a Duo lite like device. Eg the Note lite is much more interesting to me than the Note.
    Duo looks like the first android dual screen device that actually works, because of DuoOS. :)

nnthemperor and Bishop like this.
  7. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I very much agree with the quote you pulled and it's a dilemma that would face any new entrant to the smartphone market. And it's likely why MS emphasis has been on not calling it a phone.

However what they haven't come close to doing yet is making a compelling case why you want/need to carry this instead of a smartphone. Because lets face it, virtually nobody is looking for yet another device to carry. And a growing number like many here are looking for ways to carry less devices.

eg. My typical travel kit (when we still actually traveled ...) was my laptop, my smartphone and my kindle. For longer trips I would substitute my iPad for the kindle to give me a more convient news reader and media playback device.

The advent of the iPad Pro has in a limited way due to the keyboard folio allowed for a day trip or a single overnight where the compromises are tolerable

And so on, but what is essential regardless and what I think MS needs to address is can/should I take this INSTEAD OF my smartphone. I have yet to see even a marginally effective argument that way. And that's important because for all intents and purposes everyone has a smartphone and so there is the additional barrier of switching.

It is less of a barrier for say a Galaxy user than an iPhone user due to Android, but I also would argue that iPhone users might be more open to it given the high premium price that the iPhone and Duo share.

And that starts to fall apart when include put a mediocre camera, and leave out now table stakes amenities like wireless charging.

TLDR Other than dual screens, there isn't any other compelling reason to buy/switch to the duo even if it was a $399 device let alone a $1400 one.

PS:We've already heard a bit of speculation that MS is considering some type of bundling offer for big companies that are heavily tied to O365, Azure, OneDrive etc. eg. for $XX a month you get the software and hardware

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Interesting choice of movies there Ted - think I would have used this still though:

[​IMG]

Bishop, nnthemperor and dellaster like this.
  9. daddyfish

, yeah good points. The Duo does have decent upgrade support of 3 years (so to 'Android 13', and probably slightly longer security updates) which is normally something iOS users can boast with (granted iOS support is still longer).
    Considering wireless charging, no one I know (as in nearby family and good friends) actively uses wireless charging (granted they/we are not heavy phone users, except for chatting and browsing). Camera is something that is more important though, but not necessarily need for the best of the best (still think the Duo's camera will slightly be too weak).

For 400$ I would totally buy it though. :newpalm:
    The screens are top notch, casing is premium (super thin for dual screen and metal), performance is still upper class and storage is top class if you get the 256 gb model. Also the rear camera itself would probably be ok for this price point.

nnthemperor likes this.
  10. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

*WARNING*
    *MOUNTING HOBBY HORSE*
    [​IMG]
    The wannabe Thurrots of the world repeating talking points without understanding the technology are on my last nerve.

[​IMG]
    I'll take Illogical Syllogisms for $400 Alex:
    "Device has a chipset;
    Chip is not the most recent one;
    IT'S UNDERPOWERED - Device DOA"

"Alex, What is Yahoo technology articles?"

The authors probably don't have an SDuo in their hands and yet they proclaim the hardware inadequate to drive the software. I wonder if these lugnuts ever wrote any code? Could they even describe the differences in the chipsets? Ever actually wrote specs? Have a clue the entire Apollo space craft taking men to the Moon, landing and back ran on hardware less sophisticated than and with about the same memory as the Commodore 64?

I'm swearing off this click bait crap. It has decimated what was once decent technology content providers.

nnthemperor and dstrauss like this.