Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. djas

djas Graffiti User

:newpalm:

2. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Would I call myself an 'Apple fan' if all I ever did was buy the value option MBP13? Maybe...but I better not go touting that on MacRumours. :D But that's just semantics on exactly what constitutes 'a fan' of a brand.

Instead, I'll do you one better:

MS should take a loss and give out the Duo for free—to all Android developers and streamers.

See even if MS were magically able to hit the $700 pricepoint, that's still premium smartphone territory. People aren't going to jump on this until you have the killer app. eg. I'm thinking dual-screen gaming becoming a thing...with Discord, controls, menu screens, etc. becoming standard on a secondary display.

They need to start building out the dual-screen app ecosystem fast. So-much-so, the kids will start thinking of the single screen phone as gimped/"just bad". Then you have yourself a 'gamechanger'. ;)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    nnthemperor likes this.
  3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My sense is that they haven't figured out yet who the market or target buyer is. Depending on the day and who we talk with, they actually talk more about the note and iPhone 11 pro max since it's priced similar to the high storage versions of those models essentially. eg. you get dual screens and a pen over the iPhone and dual screens and a "more integrated MS centric experience" over the note

Not convinced on either argument at least not yet and FWIW to a person they don't see the fold as a competitor yet for a variety or reasons including many calling the fold "extreme bleeding edge tech"

One takeaway for me is that MS marketing and messaging is t-ball league compared to Apple's major league or Samsung's AA team. I'm pretty sure if there was anything like the variations in messaging and spin from Apple employees they'd be looking for a new job pretty quickly.

PS: Edit: I don't think targeting surface buyers is anywhere near large enough to justify or sustain the device. Even there I'd say the vast majority are already firmly locked in to either ecosystem.

nnthemperor likes this.
  4. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

I get the iPhone/Note arguments, and for those reasons. The "it's not a phone" argument from MS fuels SDuo skeptics.

I think Samsung has missed the boat in focusing on "ooh, new, folding, cameras many" and not getting the productivity message in play for Fold.

Have to agree on the SDuo marketing so far. The video was slick, but left the "so what" hanging. It's almost like the whole Surface line has succeeded in spite of its marketing.

dstrauss, nnthemperor and desertlap like this.
  5. desertlap

As I think I have mentioned here before, we(me) often get called upon by our customers to consult on purchases of mobile devices. At this point, the only sure fire pick for the Duo is a CIO who likes the latest tech toys with a big helping of "ooh, look at me with the coolest new gadget".

Guess I'm back to trending negative today on the duo.:oops:

PS: FWIW The new Note is by far the best phone Samsung has released yet and arguably the best Android phone period.

dstrauss and nnthemperor like this.
  6. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, hmm I have to say MS did convince me I want (/prefer) a DuoOS device, just not one for 1400 bucks (I find current flagships prices ridiculous anyway). WC has an article where MS points out they are open for other oems to use (through licensing I guess?) software for their phones. Not sure if that will happen but I am silently hoping now.

nnthemperor likes this.
  7. desertlap

Honestly the majority of that will come via the commits they have made to the Android repository which is open source and free for all to use and/or adoption of the MS apps and to a lesser degree myphone or the MS launcher.

However a HUGE chunk of the overall experience will remain proprietary unless they do something bold like license/sell what amounts to for all intents and purposes Surface OS.

I don't think many yet realize how much MS has altered the total Android experience.

nnthemperor likes this.
  8. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

GOOD. Right answer.

nnthemperor likes this.
  9. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Keep in mind, there are no shortage of Die Hard Apple Fans who are completely clueless about tech specs. There are Apple fans who buy just because its apple, I doubt many even know what a CPU. Like I doubt many Macbook Pro buyers walk into an Apple Store and decide on a Macbook pro config based on if they need a 15w or a 28w cpu. Specs are flash and show, but matter very little, for Apple its just the Price and the Brand.

As far as Dual Screen Gaming....that's as much a gamble as the Duo itself.

The most obviously place to think of...is the Nintendo DS...perhaps the most popular and well sold gaming device in gaming history... and that had its infamous bottom 2nd screen. However while useful, I really don't think the DS was so popular because of that 2nd screen. With the Switch they more or less dropped the 2nd screen gimmick, and other game makers like Sony clearly never saw the utility to copy that feature.

So for the DUO...I could see Nintendo DS Emulation or DS Ports really taking off....but aside from that....eh...game developers would have to develop their games with that in mind. If your developing a game for the DS, then dual screens it is, but thats the problem with the DUO. Most game developers aren't going to develop games for the DUO, they are going to develop games for the general Android platform...And I doubt many gamers are willing to plunk down $1400 for the DUO. Game development would require additional engineering (and cost) specifically for the duo development, and with the high price point and assuming low ownership...I don't see how any game developer could look at the duo at this point and agree it 's worth the investment.

nnthemperor and dellaster like this.
  10. desertlap

@Marty

We've been told informally that the Pro line has been profitable since the Pro 4. The book line was a loser in version one, slightly profitable in version two and too early to tell with the 3. The laptops to date are break even and they lose money on every unit of the studios.

By far the shining star profit wise is the Go and has been almost from the start. Unknown on the Pro X

dstrauss, JoeS, nnthemperor and 4 others like this.