Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, well I read there are dbrands skin already for it.

It really needs some free accessory delivered with it though imo to justify the price, like surface buds or the slim pen. I feel this is overpriced compared to other surface products. It almost looks to me MS overpriced it on purpose, maybe to test it on a limited scale or to make a gen2 more attractive? (like with gen1 get the base right then with gen2 / gen3 add all the goodies)

nnthemperor and Kumabjorn like this.
  2. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, what I think is ironic is that you can now run android apps on Windows through YourPhone, kind of the reverse.

Maybe MS is going to bring amore continuum like features to YourPhone? (only for the Duo and Samsung phones I mean :vbtongue:)

Bishop likes this.
  3. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

Some perspective on price:

Galaxy Z Flip: $1,200
    iPhone 11 Pro Max: $1,200
    Galaxy Note 20 Ultra: $1,300
    Surface Duo: $1,400
    Galaxy Fold (1): $1,800
    Galaxy Z Fold 2: ???

We're constantly told the screen is the most expensive part of a device like this. SDuo has 30+ sq. in. of screen, 60%+ more than the SGN20U's 18+ sq. in. for only $100 more. Further, the Z Fold 2 will only have 25+ sq. in. of screen for $400, $500 or $600 more? In any universe, neither the Z Fold 2 or the SDuo are entry level or mass market and both charge a premium being alone in their market niche.

I get that the pen thing is annoying, because, well IT IS. It's also not apples to apples ( :rolleyes: ) to compare SDuo it to similarly sized tablets that don't have telephony. I just don't see the price is that far out of line given the pricing for *smaller* screened telephony devices.

I reserve the right to amend this statement in the event the processor is not up to driving the software.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I find comparing the duo to the other high priced phone options a little unfair, because unlike the DUO, those are using top of line specs, they have robust camera capabilities, and they all can serve perfectly as a normal phone, and are fully usable with a single hand. The Duo...is just too much of a gamble.

like with the Galaxy Note 20 ultra...you know you are getting a fantastic phone, phenomenal performance, a great looking screen, perfect pen capabilities, and since it doesn’t differ in form, we all know exactly how it could fit into our daily on the go lives. As a Galaxy Note 9 user, adjusting to the 20+ is seamless.

On all those counts, I can’t say the same about the Duo. So where as the price of a Note 20 ultra can be justified, the Duos price cannot.

What Microsoft should have done...price the Duo at a loss for them....like a super low $599-$899 range...at such a price, who on this board wouldn’t buy one? Malls are now mostly reopened, even if the Microsoft Stores are closed, get the Duo in every cell phone store. The general public has not been paying attention to Panos twitter photos of the Duo, you need to get it adopted by the general public. So price it super lower, get it in malls so people can get a hands on with it, and at that point see if it takes off. Then once the general public is aware, and the first gen model is in enough hands, and the Duos utility is proven, then release a high spec $1500-$2k model.

Kumabjorn, dellaster and dstrauss like this.
  5. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Even if they priced it super-low, I have serious doubts the store reps at the Best Buy phone section would be able to give adequate demo, at least to leave more than a shallow "oh two screens, that's neat" impression.

The only chance they had at the mass-market was through great demoes showcasing UX flow and productivity at their own stores, to slowly build market recognition like with the Surface Pro.

I think the fact that Panos said, the Duo was "for Surface fans" already says it all. This is targeted at the hardcore prosumer niche and enterprise C-suites...not for the average person. :(

nnthemperor, dellaster and Bishop like this.
  6. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

We've heard that even at the current price, MS will lose money on every device at least initially. They allegedly are following the xbox sales model with in this case services such as O365 and one drive being the profit generators

And just the discussion here is further confirming my belief that MS still has a lot of work still to do on defining what this device is and who it's meant for,

PS: They also don't expect this to sell in Galaxy level numbers either, according to one of our sources.

nnthemperor and Bishop like this.
  7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I agree with your analysis up to the pricing at a loss - but only because I do not think MS WANTS this to be a mass market device. They see it as almost a fourth category of device, between a phone and a tablet; a productivity device for the techno nerd in all of us. We are the guinea pigs to help refine this in Duo 2 for the C suite crowd. Look at Panos' comment being so dismissive of the tech spec comparison - others can do the hot processors, super cameras, etc. - they are after the productivity boost of a two screen environment.

nnthemperor likes this.
  8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

except that its out of the price range of most surface fans. I can't speak to the sales of the Studio, Book, X lines, or the higher spec configs, but my understanding was the Surface Cash Cow more or less was the low end i5/128GB config of the Pro. They've been regularly having that $799 keyboard bundle on Sale for years from the Pro 5-7. Prior to Covid, I've have seen many Surfaces out and about...almost all with the grey type cover that was included with the bundle sale (its now the black cover for Pro 7 I believe) but between the high corporate sales of the GO 2, and the fact that they even bother with an i3/4GB option for the Pro at this point to me indicates those Bottom spec configs...(or rather the Cheapest configurations) probably make up the bulk of all Surface sales.

Think of it like this...You have an Apple Fan looking for a Laptop and Phone combo...they walk into an Apple Store and plunk down $1299 for a Macbook Pro...again they are an Apple Fan...so they naturally look to the iPhone. Baring the highest spec 11 pro, all the Phone options Apple offer are well withing the $400-$800 range. To get a Macbook and then get an iPhone is an easy jump since the Macbook likely costs more. So the Apple Fan walks out with a $1299 Macbook Pro and the $699 iPhone 11

So lets flip that around for a Surface Fan. Walking into a Best Buy now (Since MS stores are no longer)...the Surface Fan buys the $799 i5/8GB Surface Pro 7. Seems like a great deal, he likes the brand, etc.....but he needs a phone too....yeah....I don't see him making that same "Fan of the Brand" jump to the $1400 Surface Phone. In that case...almost very very likey....the Surface Fan would walk out of the Best Buy with a $799 Pro 7, and likely ANY other Android phone, aside from the Galaxy Folds.

nnthemperor, dellaster and dstrauss like this.
  9. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

I agree with you: people will largely choose based on the form factor they know, or switch in hopes of getting a form factor that better meets their needs. Viva the power of consumer choice.

I gave up on the Note series at about 4. Neither the software nor the form factor were helping my productivity. After which I drifted to iPhones and tablets to supplement a laptop.

So to your point, the Fold is a better comparator than single screen phones. Both have AMOLED screens, SDuo at 401ppi, Fold at 362ppi, size difference already noted. SDuo supports pen, Fold does not. Fold does have more complex cameras and a newer chip. For those to whom cameras make a difference, they're paying a premium to get it in the Fold.

SDuo gives me the pen and screen real estate I need, along with a suite of productivity apps tuned to the form factor and a camera I can live with for hundreds $$$ less than the Fold. Bonus round: *and* the ability to drop at least one device from my traveling kit (which also means escaping the next new version of that device for additional savings). For those of us to whom a productivity improvement means additional revenue, it's more investment than expense.

Heck, bookies need people like us so they can take bets on both sides.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  10. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

He probably should have said, “for Surface Phone fans”, the ones who never gave up on the dream. But then he’d be admitting that it isn’t a not-a-phone...
    upload_2020-8-15_12-26-52.jpeg
    I’m clearly not part of the intended niche. And that’s okay.

nnthemperor and daddyfish like this.