Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Curse you @djas - I read McCraken and I'm experiencing shallow breathing again!..>>

As well you should, mister "Where's my Courier??" for the last five years...!

Bishop likes this.
  2. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Ah, just when I thought I was seeing just a glimmer of optimism returning here... :p

Well, I suppose now is the time to start taking bets. Will Office launch on MOA as a fully ARM native suite, or a hybrid (ie. CHPE x86 wrapper) like on WOA? My guess is it's going to be the latter, for better compatibility with (add-ins, VBA, etc.)

Ditto on the Adobe side, except the launch version of PS and other CC apps will be even more buggy than Office. :D (If they can't port over the full PS functionality on iOS after over a year, I don't see how people are expecting them to work magic on the MOA side.)

3. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

I believe the problem is fixing Office for Windows means rewriting all that 32 bit DLL code and drivers risking legacy compatibility across the ecosystem. Fixing Apple versions holds off new competitors in that space for the short term.

4. Bishop

Man, I wish OneNote had that page turning gesture from the Courier video.

5. Bishop

Come on, take it...
    [​IMG]

Chris_Kez, Bronsky and dstrauss like this.
  6. Bishop

No. There's still something fundamentally different in the object/container structure used by that journal app; it seems to exist in all the Courier apps. As I recall, one of the promised future powers of Windows a few years ago was data objects, not dependent on the app which created them but manageable by everything including the file system.

Chris_Kez likes this.
  7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I think they've given that lecture (data objects) going back to Longhorn...:eek:

I'll take door number 3 Monty...

8. negative1

negative1 Retro Surface fan

Chris_Kez and Bishop like this.
  9. Bishop

[​IMG]

nnthemperor likes this.
  10. Bishop

Screen ratio will drive function. The Fold 2 is ~25 sq. in. to Duo's 30. When open in portrait mode (dominant design), the Fold 2 is just about enough screen real estate to work with a pen comfortably in 1 app for me. That's where the Duo's ability to put 2 apps side by side (landscape as dominant design) each in a full screen is a game changer. Can I turn Fold 2 in my hand to landscape mode and have its screen behave like the Duo's 2 screens? Maybe, but smaller. It matters because some of us need the text larger.

As the software is currently presented, dual screen vs. folded single screen looks like 2 different use cases to me.

Chris_Kez, Bronsky and nnthemperor like this.