Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I think he is the only person outside of MS with a working SD currently...>>

This is a pretty good article. Nice find, @djas ...

Odd, however, that Panos says he is unfamiliar with what Courier was all about. Take a look at that old video, then relook at Duo. I don't see many differences; in fact it's Courier with telephonic function...

djas, Bishop and dstrauss like this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@djas - the McCracken is the best yet :thumbsup::thumbsup:

3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Reading all the articles /podcasts so far including today in Wired, and even the comments here, I think the Duo is shaping up to be a bit of a polarizing device. And thus it puts a lot more pressure on MS to deliver and innovate.

I'm very excited about the future of dual screens and/or foldable ones, as I think the amount of innovation that can be wrung out of a single screen devices is nearing it's limit.

https://www.wired.com/story/gadget-lab-podcast-468/

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    Kumabjorn likes this.
  4. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

upload_2020-8-14_10-6-7.png

5. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

But there is another quote by Nadella that should give us some hope though, if I'm reading correctly:

(FastCompany)
    "Asked the same question about the Duo’s reason for being, Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella, like many another sage technologist, references Alan Kay‘s maxim: “People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware.” "

Nadella is clearly a cloud/server guy, but the fact that he is tying hardware directly to the success of the software, means that Surface should always remain a priority for MS. And this should mean Surface will always remain a first-class citizen before Apple and other devices, in terms of software support.

These are all good things, right? :)

dstrauss and desertlap like this.
  6. dstrauss

I don't buy Panos' "unfamiliar" comment either. Not only are they basically identical (just look up Courier on YouTube), the concepts and software processes ARE the same.

7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Even though I'm sitting this one out, I agree wtih you. The duo and the fold are the future. What that also means, however, is that Android is the future too. That, I am really unhappy about. Although the foldable phone will eliminate the need to carry a computer outside the office, I will likely continue to work in Windows at work for the foreseeable future (foreseeable as in ... until I cash in).

Bishop, nnthemperor and desertlap like this.
  8. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I, at least at this moment in time agree with you. However consider this. There isn't any fundamental reason why 99% of what they have done for android with dual screens couldn't be ported to windows. And more and more, it expect it may come via Windows X if everything we are hearing (off the record of course) turn out to be even partially accurate.

In other words , I'm seeing new glimmers of hope for the Neo among other devices albeit likely in at least a somewhat different form factor than it first appeared.

And just for clarity, what we are hearing is that instead of Windows X being just a chrome OS competitor , the plans are much more ambitious and sweeping , ultimately as THE desktop/laptop/tablet OS period. Also possibly why the release dates are pushed back

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    nnthemperor likes this.
  9. dstrauss

Curse you @djas - I read McCraken and I'm experiencing shallow breathing again!

[​IMG]

nnthemperor likes this.
  10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...this should mean Surface will always remain a first-class citizen before Apple and other devices, in terms of software support...>>

@Marty : I think we have to look at actions here. When Microsoft introduces improvements in Office for Apple before we see them in Windows, I have to seriously question their intent...

dellaster and dstrauss like this.