Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Having read some reviews (and speculation) at Cnet and other sites, it struck me that the one thing that MS could do with the Duo, and make a HUGE impact on the market, would be to integrate Outlook with Skype and a solid multimedia text client - hit Apple where it would really hurt in Facetime and iMessage, giving ALL Android users the ecosystem advantage that iPhone users enjoyed. That would also be a big win in the enterprise market.

I keep looking at that Duo (needs a little work on its chin and forehead) and thinking it is a potential iPad Mini folded in half - and lets me make calls. If they can skin it to look like Windows 10X...

siddhartth, nnthemperor and djas like this.
  2. ORTOX

ORTOX Scribbler - Standard Member

@Steve S do you mean that you believe Microsoft is going to deliver an actual digital personal organizer with inking support?

3. zendragon

zendragon Scribbler - Standard Member

I think this is going to be a great device and I am way more excited about it than the Neo.

I currently have the Mate 20 X and while it would be unwieldy to hold to my ear for long phone calls, I have an ear bud I use for all my conference calls so it's never been a problem. Not to mention, most of my work's applications are web based and I can be on a call with my ear bud and use my phone to access reports and emails for the discussions without needing to lug my laptop around. I very rarely take my laptop to meetings anymore and just work off my phone. The screen real estate works surprisingly well.

I also use my phone as my portable sketchbook. I'm doing Inktober on it this year using SketchBook and it's working great so far. And while the desktop version of SketchBook is better, if only because it supports downloadable brushes, I am perfectly happy with Android at this point. Windows Phone was a great concept, but I don't want to go through another slow decline there as all my apps slowly lose support.

All that to say, a dual screen option with a pen would only enhance all of my experiences and give me even less of a reason to carry anything else with me. I hope this things sells like hotcakes so by the time I'm ready to replace my Mate 20 X, the more refined 2nd gen is released.

nnthemperor, djas and ORTOX like this.
  4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I keep looking at that Duo (needs a little work on its chin and forehead)...>>

...For those in the betting pool, the answer is 5 days...!

Bishop likes this.
  5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...do you mean that you believe Microsoft is going to deliver an actual digital personal organizer with inking support?..>>

...As I said, Microsoft will have to do this or convince a third-party developer to do it. They can't present a hardware vision and then release hardware that doesn't (at least minimally) fulfill that vision...

nnthemperor likes this.
  6. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Related to all this, one of my engineers notes from the meeting we had with them Friday is intriguing specific to the duo. They repeatedly called it " a modern communications device" and not a phone.

I'm sorry I missed that conversation as I would have liked to have dug in a bit on that...

7. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

MSN messenger?

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I'm reminded of the line from Mr. Mom:

Bishop likes this.
  9. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

Does anyone else remember Tablet PC Planner by Franklin Covey that launched with the very first Tablet PC's? It literally made the Franklin Planner digital. You could type, but ink capabilities were front and center. As you marked a task complete, it would gray out, and tomorrow, the remaining tasks would move up the list.

I believe Neo/Duo were born for this...
    [​IMG]

ORTOX, djas, Bronsky and 3 others like this.
  10. djas

djas Graffiti User

On my old TC1100, I had an Outlook 2013 enhancement called TEO or something which bring the pen front & centre, very akin to the Franklin planner. I have to turn on the TC1100 when I'm back home & check again. Exciting times.

WillAdams and Bishop like this.