Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Interesting. Puts MS in a difficult spot. If they go 10x only the device wont sell. If they were to offer say a dual boot option , I think 10x would get ignored.

A 3rd though unlikely option would be to deal with Android apps via virtualization/emulation. In other words make 10x the core OS and have an android subsystem. e.g. kind of what bluestacks does on x86 now in a rather basic way

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    nnthemperor likes this.
  2. djas

djas Graffiti User

Welcome onboard :) Great post.

My thoughts:

Your filofax = my current (Phone/Moleskine) GTA8SP = my future Surface Duo.

Edit:
    Instead of carrying a split-screen 8" tabletphone:
    1.jpg

I can in the future folds that in half & carry it as a phone-sized (almost like a 2 Note 5s stack on top of each other folded) & still have multiscreens/split-screen when needed. This is awesome....:)

The only issue is I will lose is Pie customisations & Samsung/Knox account? (I don't login to Google Play Store/anything) That's gonna be a bummer.

MSA is a given of course.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    nnthemperor likes this.
  3. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Noooooo! That'll leave a sour taste. BlueStacks, as far as I'm concerned, is quite useless. Very buggy and resource-honey.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

desertlap likes this.
  4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, I'm not a fan of bluestacks either. I guess because I was thinking Android, it's what first came to me. A better example would be Parallels on the Mac. Plus like with the mac, the underlying core architecture is the same.

nnthemperor likes this.
  5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Panos - stick to the plan. The Duo has to be more than just a smaller version of the Neo - it needs to be a full communication device. Ignore the petitions and stay on message.

ORTOX and nnthemperor like this.
  6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I get the sense that I'm going to be forced to evolve to the Neo but it will take a complete device to make me give up my Notes.

siddhartth, djas and nnthemperor like this.
  7. burningorange

burningorange Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm of the same. I had a filofax, then a Palm Pilot III, and a Galaxy Note 10+ and can't wait to get back to the digital filofax. I also noticed in your picture things I also (still) have: the Rotring fountain pen and mechanical pencil... :)

djas likes this.
  8. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

But it's GORILLA glass.

[​IMG]

Steve S, djas, dstrauss and 1 other person like this.
  9. ORTOX

ORTOX Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm very interested in the Duo for the same reason @jra166 and @burningorange. I've gone back and forth several times from digital to physical for scheduling / planning / journaling.

The problem I've noticed is the real lack of software for a true digital w/ inking replacement for the Filofax / Franklin Covey system. What software do you plan on using come Surface Duo release? Or are we hoping that someone will come to market with a software that will provide this functionality?

djas and nnthemperor like this.
  10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...are we hoping that someone will come to market with a software that will provide this functionality?..>>

...Microsoft will likely create a custom app for the Duo and / or will encourage third party developers to do the same. Note that since Microsoft has a vision for how the Duo will work, they will have to have software developed for that vision at the time of hardware release...

nnthemperor likes this.