Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Great! We'll be waiting for the first review.

Sent from my SM-P205 using Tapatalk

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Microsoft Store has opened up its main preorder page

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/devices/surface-duo?activetab=overview&icid=mscom_marcom#

one new thing is that it does has a fingerprint reader.

also, the trade in / exchange website Microsoft is running with CeXchange seems to be matching Samsung’s trade in prices. My Note 9 has a trade in value of $550 which is what Samsung would give me.

also, I think this is the first time seeing it used actually as a phone. As someone who struggles with carrying around the Note 9 at times (more then a few pairs of pants with short pockets) the Duo looks almost comically overside.

196900B9-4112-4F64-A7F5-7E839444D4BA.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    nnthemperor likes this.
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I'm still leaning strongly into my deal on the Galaxy Note 20 Ultra, BUT FYI, Microsoft is offering a $700 trade-in cash refund for an iPhone 11 256gb like mine - makes their 256gb model the same price out the door as the GN2U 512gb model.

Oops - sorry @darkmagistric - crossed posts on your trade-in info...

JoeS and nnthemperor like this.
  4. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I got $650 for my Note 10+ so that reduces my out of pocket to $1000 which isn't bad...

nnthemperor likes this.
  5. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

No wonder they're pushing the Earbuds as an accessory. I mean, I almost never hold my phone to my ear to talk anymore, so this wouldn't matter to me at all, but it does still look funny.

nnthemperor likes this.
  6. djas

djas Graffiti User

7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

My concern is more with the general usability because of its size. If your a woman with a purse it’s not as much of a concern I guess, but for a guy, I have jeans and pants that my Note 9 sticks out of because the pockets are somewhat short. The Duo has both its height and width working against it, Barring cargo pockets (which are increasingly out of style) or jacket pockets, I imagine the a Duo might prove difficult to carry around for a day.

also one major use of my phone is for driving navigation. I have an older 2007 Honda Accord, so I don’t have built in navigation like newer cars do, but my Note 9 case has a little magnet on its back, and in my car I have a magnet attachment on my front AC vent that I attach the note 9 to. In regards to the Duo, I’m kind of wondering how that same use case would even work given it’s size and form factor.

and how often do many of us take out and use our phones entirely one handed...from our pockets, While on a subway car when your other hand is holding to a railing, etc....there’s just a lot of use cases we take for granted with single screen phones, that the Duos requirement of opening it seems more of hindrance to many of those use cases.

nnthemperor likes this.
  8. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

That image with the Duo as a phone reminds of a picture from a blogger way back in the day (Sasha Pallenberg?) who held a Nexus 7 up as a phone. It looks just like that. Of course, I can't find that image now, so this will have to do:

Samsung-Galaxy-W.png

dstrauss likes this.
  9. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I will say, as much as the camera is most likely mediocre, at least they have 4k60 support - something that not even Google supports on their high end Pixel 4 or XL

dellaster likes this.
  10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Given that this thread was really a "Duo pre-release discussion thread", I wonder if it makes sense to rename this one as such, and start a squeaky clean discussion thread now that the device is actually available. Mods?