Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Did Dale order his yet?:newpalm:

Mesosphere and nnthemperor like this.
  2. negative1

negative1 Retro Surface fan

glad you can uninstall the google apps:

In addition to the Google apps, Microsoft is also bundling its own Android software. Microsoft Launcher, Edge and Outlook will be set at the default launcher, web browser, and email client on the device. Some Google apps are also set as default, including the Google Assistant, Google Messages, and Google Phone apps.

Google also requires that the Google Play Store app and Google Search bar are placed on the homescreen by default. This is why you won't see the Bing search bar by default on the home page, but the user can easily change this if they wish.

Users will be able to uninstall or disable many of Google's preinstalled apps if they don't want to use them, but many customers actually use Google apps every day, so having them preinstalled might be a good thing for many people.

later

nnthemperor likes this.
  3. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

Pre order is live.

128GB storage is $1399
    256GB storage is $1499
    Microsoft complete is $199

Both storages show available "as soon as 9/10"

Bumper does not show as an "accessory"; guess it's in the box.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    nnthemperor likes this.
  4. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I've ordered mine already - went with the 256GB version :)

5. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Ahh... the scramble for information, great that the 256GB version is only $100 more and availability is the same, so that makes my choice easier.

And for the true nerds among us, judging solely by the latest photos, this will be the first device on the market with asymmetrical display tech. If you notice the bezels at the hinge look to be considerably smaller than at the edges. That also explains why that is so, is that you have to put the underlying hardware somewhere.

I'm hoping that though, it's still not, "the one device to rule them all" it does get me closer and can often suffice in some circumstances anyway.

nnthemperor and Bishop like this.
  6. Bishop

Sorry, not following you on where the asymmetry exists? Screens shifted to center rather than centered in each half?

nnthemperor likes this.
  7. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Based purely on eyeballing the photos yes. It looks like the bezels, even accounting for the hinge are smaller at the hinge.

Speaking from the supply side asymmetrical dipoles have been in development for awhile now though I've yet to actually see a shipping one.

The issue is the control electronics have to go somewhere and to date they have been uniformly distributed on the high and left side or in some cases in things like laptops top and bottom.

The work to do this got started because companies were asking for ever small bezels in smartphones and tablets. The curved edge displays that were briefly a thing in smartphones from Samsung and others was an attempt to disguise the electronics.

nnthemperor likes this.
  8. Bishop

Aaah. Got it. Thanks for taking the time to teach.

nnthemperor likes this.
  9. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

the thing about though, both the Z flip and the fold 2 are a little more practical as phone replacements. The Z flip when unfolded is a normal phone for the most part, just folding when being stored away, and the fold 2 has the 3rd/front screen so your not required to open it.

The Duo because of its size and lack of a front screen...from the perspective of a Galaxy Note 9 user...its just unclear how sufficient it would serve as a proper phone replacement. Especially at this premium price. Like if I’m gonna spend $1400+ on a phone, I want something that would at least be a decent phone, and the Duo is unproven in this regard. And given Samsung’s generous trade in price for my Note 9, for the same relative price as the Duo I could get both the Galaxy Note 20+ and the Tab S7 plus.

JoeS and nnthemperor like this.
  10. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Pen included?

Sent from my SM-P205 using Tapatalk