Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

2. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

In the old days at an MVP event, the attendees would get handed retail boxes of the new stuff. It was sweet.

Another article about the *alleged* virtual MVP event for the Duo.

3. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

Now how are marketing people supposed to justify six figure salaries using standard dictionary color designations? ;)

Guessing its the color the model is holding in the debut video from last October.

nnthemperor likes this.
  4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

They have been calling the standard surface pro , surface tech in general. whitish gray hue, glacier for awhile starting with the original surface headphones.

Apple is still the king of this though. My ultra shiny and total fingerprint/scratch magnet iPhone 7 was called "simply black" :cool::p

nnthemperor and Bishop like this.
  5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Yet...the Pro 7, Laptop 3, Book 3, and Go 2 are all not getting any slim pen love...>>

Sometimes, I wonder if the Slim Pen really was an improvement over the Surface pen... Naw, of course it was! But I digress.

My observation is that the Pro X, and possibly the Pro 7 (it was never clear), were supposed to have incorporated "advanced" features for an improved pen that was never revealed. At the time, the story was that Microsoft elected to delay the new pen because of the rush to get both Pros out the door for the announcement in New York. (God; that seems like ages ago...) There was some speculation at the time that this new pen would show up with the Neo / Duo, but since then, there's been no news at all. Since the Slim Pen (maybe it's an improved Slim Pen...?!??) keeps showing up in the various Duo images, I think you can safely assume that it is still part of the mix. I also think it's worth noting that, with Samsung going to 120 Hz screens and 9 ms latency with their S Pen, Microsoft should be feeling some pressure to improve their pen performance. However, it will probably have to wait for Pro 8; Duo is too far down the line...

nnthemperor likes this.
  6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

7. dstrauss

Like I said - white...

nnthemperor and Bishop like this.
  8. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The thing is, MS has shown awareness of all their pen shortcomings through the years and made promising strides in addressing them at both software and hardware level:

Remember this presentation at Build 2015?

@18:50, Subramanian goes into a detailed explanation of how MS reduced the software rendering latency to almost zero, cutting down the end-to-end latency from 100ms to under 50ms for the "next generation" of devices.

[​IMG]

Then 2 years later, Panos got onstage in Shanghai and announced they had cut that down to just 21ms using hardware-based predictive input:

[​IMG]

(The Verge)
    “What’s so cool about the hardware ink stuff is that our touch controller, that’s custom to us, talks to our new custom silicon, the display accelerator, and sends the pen data ahead of the operating system,” explains Bathiche. “We actually write directly onto the screen from the pen. Windows now has an API that will talk to our piece of silicon and that will tell our piece of silicon what color and what font to write.”

The problem is no production software (to my knowledge) actually made use of these advancements, and the one app that could consistently demonstrate this improved rendering speed, Windows Sketchpad, they killed in build 1909 :(, so naturally, all people remember is 'slow and laggy' N-Trig.

MS, sabotaging itself since 199x...

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    nnthemperor and dstrauss like this.
  9. dstrauss

They were officially toe-less by October 26, 2012...

nnthemperor and Marty like this.
  10. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Sorry, that may have come off too strong. I just kind of blasted that out trying to actually give hope to Steve. :p

My main frustration is MS always seems to have all the solutions and technological pieces in play, years in advance, and either through lack of promotion and coordination or outright neglect, never is able to put them together.

I just don't understand why, I can't imagine being all those designers and engineers who worked on Zune, Courier, Phone, Windows 8 (now even WOA/10X?), etc...all great products, all with so potential and all left to die for no reason. It's just heartbreaking.

(Oops, another rant came out :p)

nnthemperor likes this.