Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

There is a HUGE difference this time, however - it's Android and Google is already committed to dual/folding/windowed Android devices (thank you Samsung) so the galaxy (pun intended) of Android apps should work well on the Duo if MS is successful in steering the apps tot he correct screen through their efforts. It is not going to fail for lack of apps, only for FAILURE to adapt the MS universe of apps to the platform.

nnthemperor, Marty and WillAdams like this.
  2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So that begs a bigger question though. Given what Windows X could/might be, why isn't it the premier Windows X device?

Most likely they are trying to avoid the windows phone fate which as much as anything failed due to lack of apps.

But wouldn't it be impressive if at some future formal release they announced "Here's the all new Windows X and it's already available today to you. Not only on the new devices we showed today, but on the Neo, the Duo and Surface Pro X too! "

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    nnthemperor and WillAdams like this.
  3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Given what Windows X could/might be, why isn't it the premier Windows X device?..>>

...Because it's running Android?

nnthemperor likes this.
  4. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

It seems so obvious, doesn't it? Also, spec and price it down a bit. A foldable might be a tech breakthrough worth $2K; a dual screen, not so much.

nnthemperor likes this.
  5. dstrauss

Maybe I just missed this early on, but according to Daniel Rubino (at the 1:55 mark) the outside of the Duo (and Neo) is glass...that is a scary prospect...

nnthemperor likes this.
  6. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, but where's the Mate X and the Fold? I think MS offering is the one that makes the most sense for now. Do you want a device with screens constantly exposed?
    People who use flip cases on their phones will definitely disagree with you about the "pains" of always having to open it to see who's calling, and you know why.
    I also believe there's a reason MS didn't just slap a small preview window on the outside of it, could be aesthetics or something else. My only wish,is that they shrink the bezels at the forehead and chin a little more. But it's a whole year out,and we'll see.

Sent from my SM-P205 using Tapatalk

dstrauss likes this.
  7. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, whatever happened to the magnesium alloy on other surfaces. Earth ran out of precious metals already?

Sent from my SM-P205 using Tapatalk

siddhartth and dstrauss like this.
  8. jra166

jra166 Pen Pal - Newbie

I love it and can't wait to own it. Why? I hate mobile phones, but they are a necessary evil in this connected world.

I am a writer. First and foremost, this is a digital notebook/planner with an infinite number of pages, a place to record my thoughts as they come to me, and it fits in my pocket. When I go out, I grab my notebook (the Duo) and go about my day. Leave my phone, my laptop, and all other gadgets at home. The crazy world is out of site and out of mind....

Bonus Points:
    1) Even though I left my phone at home, people can STILL reach me
    2) Need to check, or respond, to an email? I left my laptop at home, but I can still do it on the Duo.
    3) Bored where I am? Waiting where I am? Use one of many android apps.
    4) Breaking news? Market activity? get the news, make trades.
    5) Need Directions? Google Maps.
    6) Need to check or update calendar. Done.

All in my notebook. When I don't need any of those things above and I want to be left alone. Put the phone on silent, close it. Out of sight, out of mind.

If I am sitting at my desk working and need the display available at all times? Tent mode or flip the screens around and set it on my desk.

Anybody remember the Filofax? Now in a tiny thin clamshell and it can make phone calls![​IMG]

FZelle, siddhartth, Bishop and 5 others like this.
  9. dstrauss

Welcome aboard @jra166 - and yes, the Duo (or perhaps even the Neo) were meant exactly for you.

nnthemperor likes this.
  10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator