Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

We believe its even been "baked in" to the launcher that will ship on the Duo as well.

nnthemperor and Bishop like this.
  2. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

Beats a stick in the eye, I suppose

[​IMG]

3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This is not fact, but opinion/conjecture based on the code commits to Android that MS has been making since the announcement of the Duo.

Our lead Android person thinks that this will be one of the most forked/customized Android devices since the Amazon Fire tablets and will put the "skins" that Samsung and LG used to install, to shame in terms of how completely it permeates the user experience.

A few years ago, that would have raised big red flags with me as the android customizations were often a major source of compatibility and reliability issues.

However, a lot has changed since about Android 8 with Google de-coupling a lot of elements of what used to be the core OS in to separate apps including among others things as basic as the phone app or as complex as many of the app frameworks.

Watching the few video teasers out there and other resources 'it looks like Android, but yet it doesn't". The optimist in me is hoping that they fix or improve some of the more clunky UI aspects of Android while they are at it let alone put solid software behind a dual screen interface.

So if you are keeping score, today I'm trending Duo positive :)

JoeS, nnthemperor, Bronsky and 2 others like this.
  4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Kind've like living with someone who is bipolar.

nnthemperor and desertlap like this.
  5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Somebody call me?

bloodycape, JoeS, nnthemperor and 2 others like this.
  6. nannlp

nannlp Pen Pal - Newbie

not strictly about duo , but was surprised to know that LG has been making the dual screen devices for a good two years now . They have good reviews on youtube

nnthemperor likes this.
  7. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Those have no pen & I think the second display as a paltry battery life. There was also the ZTE Axiom M from 3-4 years ago, but that got mixed reviews.

nnthemperor likes this.
  8. nannlp

nannlp Pen Pal - Newbie

Wacom stylus support for the LG dual screen velvet .

Actually has good reviews for battery with some on youtube calling it “the most underrated phone of 2020”

dellaster likes this.
  9. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It’s an interesting take on the old idea. Midrange priced at $700 with a suitably midrange Qualcomm 765, which allows 5G. The second 1080p touchscreen is a snap-on cover that you can leave behind if you want to go light. An optional Wacom Bamboo pen works on both screens for drawing, shortcuts, etc. The triple camera is sans telephoto, so that would rule it out for me. Others might not care (apparently a wide-angle groupie lens is more popular).

https://www.androidauthority.com/lg-velvet-review-2-1130861/

bloodycape likes this.
  10. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

The problem is running something over both screens and since it is a second screen in a cover the gap in the middle is HUGE. It feels like an idea tossed around by a bunch of interns. "Let's beat Samsung and Microsoft to market with a dual screen setup!"

nnthemperor and Bishop like this.