Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Being an atheist I don't believe in the power of praying. But here goes; Please don't let the Surface Duo/Neo be the AtivQ of 2020.

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Yes, I do, but it's not so I'll just deal with it. Besides, compared to the 3:2 Surface Pro 7 it is just as tall, but1.5 inches wider. You know what they say about lemons...(seriously, is this the real dstrauss or an impostor)...:cool:

paprikaleapt and nnthemperor like this.
  3. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That's exactly the reason why I think Huwawei's Matex design concept is most rock soild for a Phablet-
    • It has a single good camera, thus saves internal space.
    • It's front facing side is a no compromise no notch no excuses full display.
    • You don't have to "open" the phone to see who's calling.
    All Microsoft needs to do is replace Huwawei's fold's centre crease with one of it's hinges, and make room for a full sized Pen. In a device that goes into your pocket or ladies'purse/man-bag/fanny-pack, screen to body ratio matters a lot. The only reason why Huwawei's offering is so expensive is it's folding displays, they can make a extremely marketable and affordable product with Microsofft's hinge and give us a budget Huwawei Mate XR. It's the compromises that makes companies survive in this economy.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    nnthemperor likes this.
  4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

5. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hmm.

I wonder if as much as anything that's more of attempt to temper expectations a bit?

Plus, we are defintely on a path where "phone" as most of us think about it is being redefined, especially in Asia and developing countries.

I fequently see laptops and even desktops being used as "phones: courtesy of tech like VOIP or for that matter the various messaging and chat apps.

Same thing with tablets. The head of our business partner in South Korea uses a 10.5 inch tablet with a bluetooth headset as his "phone".

nnthemperor, JoeS and siddhartth like this.
  6. Steve S

<<...we are defintely on a path where "phone" as most of us think about it is being redefined...>>

...Agreed. Virtual presence hardware and applications may eventually steer us to FaceTime-like "windows" through which we simply talk to whomever we want on any platform that we please. I think you could easily argue that we're already there (except for the continuous connectivity...)

nnthemperor likes this.
  7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@desertlap and @Steve S - you guys have hit the nail on the head. Within the next couple of years - we will just "communicate" with whatever device is handy at the moment. I can understand Panos' retreat on the Duo being a "phone" because you have already heard the chorus of naysayers:

"it's too honking big to talk on"
    "have to open it to see who's calling"
    "no front screen"
    "it's just too big in general"

Plus, let's face two other facts:
    • MS failed miserably with Windows Mobile despite having a superior software interface
    • So few people actually use their phone as a "phone" - it is an internet surfing device and texting/social media platform - as Panos said in that interview "I don't know how many people make phone calls anymore."
    But my gut tells me it will be a fast selling Android phone nonetheless. Above all else, they HAVE to make Skype the communication standard across all devices, including iPhones, to make this the real hit it deserves to be.

A NOTE TO SAMSUNG - put a hinge between two Galaxy Note 10+, get the whole thing down to 12mm thick, and give Microsoft a run for its money!

nnthemperor, WillAdams and Cuberdon75 like this.
  8. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I was thinking almost the same thing in not exactly the same thing.
    With the advent of watches, wireless wifi connected earphones, and in the face of compromises like notches and lack of headphone jack. One thing has become increasingly clear, the reason why we merged our -camera/Notepad/tv/tvremote/credit card/walkman/boombox/mailbox/phone/radio/file cabinet - into a single device Phablet - was Convenience and Cost-effectiveness. So, when this Form factor becomes inconvenient, compromised and ridiculously expensive, one really needs to wonder - which of the above mentioned activities - E-mailing, voicecalling, Navigation, Photo/videography, Notetaking/music/cashless payment etc - really need to be physically married together a single form factor, or which one can be distributed amongst different wearable/Pocketable/lappable/deskable devices which are wirelessly interconnected.

One really needs to live with one's wife in the same house, but you don't really need the same proximity with your favourite News anchor or Comedian or Author, you can access their works through an appropriate medium, you don't need them to be under the same roof with you to access their services.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    nnthemperor and Steve S like this.
  9. Steve S

I am more convinced than ever that one of the prime motivations for the Duo (and Neo) early reveal was to get developers interested and engaged early so that when these products are released in a year, there are a decent number of apps to use, and I applaud Microsoft for doing this.

I think this article is right on target...

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/4/...-phone-android-windows-tablet-developers-apps

(Courtesy of theVerge site)

10. instred

instred Pen Pal - Newbie

I have to agree with you Steve. Already on a Sheet music page turner app, the developer has said he wants to have an update ready for when the Duo ships.

nnthemperor and WillAdams like this.