Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I think Panos was truly nervous about this reveal. Even Thurrott said that before the presentation he literally looked nervous and almost sickly.

And worst of all, for a prototype, it looked DAMN GOOD, so now the expectations bar shot through the roof. Marcus Brownlee got a backstory interview in the lab on the folding devices, and one of the Duo prototypes clearly had a space for a rear camera (think it was posted here somewhere but check out at 5:06 the all black model with camera hole:

Now that I am wedded to the ThinkPad X1 Yoga, I will be looking for that ultralite 8" +/- device for on the run note taking. The Neo may be too much of a real computer for that role, and maybe next year Timmy and the knights of the (small) round table we deem us worthy of pencil support for the iPhone 11s Pro. Still, that Duo checks a lot of boxes, and I can see it emerging next October with slimmer bezels, a small front facing LCD (preferably an e-Ink screen), or maybe Samsung will go dual screen like eh Duo for the Galaxy Note 11 - so many possibilities and so many limitation on AMEX...

PS - my only regret about not pre-ordering the Surface Pro X is not being able to charge it to my new AppleCard...:vbrolleyes::vbbiggrin:

Bronsky, Steve S, JoeS and 1 other person like this.
  2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So I'm definitely in the take your time, test it as much as you think you need to then do 50%more:) camp.

I just got back from meeting with a customer who is a die hard Samsung Fan. So of course he had the Fold (first one I've seen in the wild). He let me "gently" try it out.

So it's heavier than I remember from seeing the demo unit. I wonder if the "improvements" to make it a bit less fragile made it heavier. It's also early 2014 feeling bulky. Kind of like in the days when some android phones had a built in physical keyboard that was usable when the phone folded open.

It also has an odd touch feel. I'm sure it's because it's because the display is plastic compared to the glass we've become used to. In fact it felt a bit like my old palm pilot.

He then showed me the list of "recommendations" for using it.

Use a light touch. Avoid games or apps where you press the screen repeatedly in the same place. Avoid twisting the device at all. It's not recommended to carry it in a pants pocket. Avoid carrying it for extended periods of time in the open position. Do not use partially closed, but only fully open or fully closed.

Avoid magnets. Avoid any contact with adhesives or solvents of any kind. Avoid ambient temperatures above 85 degrees Fahrenheit. Do not attempt to open or close the device if the ambient temperature is below 40 degrees Fahrenheit.

And so on... I told him that while It was a nice device , it wouldn't last a day of my use. He kind of sighed and said "but look at that big display and showed me the kindle app.

TLDR: It is going to take a lot of convincing before I'd put down money for a foldable display device.

Steve S, paprikaleapt and JoeS like this.
  3. dstrauss

In a nutshell, buy one of these and put it on your wall...
    [​IMG]

4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Or as commenter Urist on Ars Technica wrote:

Caring for your Galaxy Fold:

Do not remove protective layer from Galaxy Fold screen.
    Keep Galaxy Fold in a cool, dry place away from dust or debris.
    Keep Galaxy Fold away from children and pets.
    Do not touch Galaxy Fold, surface may be hot.
    Do not make any sudden movements around Galaxy Fold.
    Do not fold Galaxy Fold.
    Galaxy Fold may contain nuts.
    Keep Galaxy Fold away from open flame.
    Use your indoor voice when speaking to Galaxy Fold.
    Do not look directly into Galaxy Fold.
    Do not take Galaxy Fold with drugs or alcohol.
    Always wear PPE when working near Galaxy Fold.
    Consult your doctor before trying Galaxy Fold.
    Do not feed Galaxy Fold after midnight.
    If Galaxy Fold is ingested, induce vomiting and contact local poison control center.
    Do not use Galaxy Fold as a flotation device.
    Do not taunt Galaxy Fold.

:D

5. dstrauss

The more I look at and read about the Duo - stick the SQ1 in that puppy, load up Windows X, and give us the Courier we truly deserve...

paprikaleapt likes this.
  6. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

1. The duo can fit in a pocket easily, right? 5.8 inches but those bezels though

2. If the duo is android, are there advantages of this over the samsung galaxy fold? If it has pen I guess that is it

3. Are there special software features that other dual screen devices (ex: galaxy fold) that the surface duo has that the galaxy fold does not have?

siddhartth likes this.
  7. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

One thing to keep in mind is that release is more than a year away, and similar devices from Samsung, Vivo, Xiaomi etc are bound to pop up left and right throughout 2020...

siddhartth and WillAdams like this.
  8. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

Look, I'm not trying to be a home wrecker or trying to ruin your marriage or anything-

But hey, don't you wish the X1 yoga was 16:10 or 3:2?

- Diogenes the cynic, 370 BC

9. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Apparently there's a black version of the Surface Duo with a back-facing camera

Watch from 5:06
    Sent from mTalk

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  10. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Too many (albeit valid) questions for a device that most people saw only for a few minutes. I guess we'll know as the months go by.
    But what I know is that MS knows what a notetaking device should be like: that wide aspect ratio and no stupid curved screens compared to the narrow and tall 18:9 or 19: whatever ratio on the GN and others, even on the Fold.

Sent from mTalk

dstrauss and Cuberdon75 like this.