Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Wish I could give you a dozen "likes" for this post @nnthemperor ! It is utter BS to keep posting these corporate exec teases - either you have the product or you don't. Man up and release the d*** thing already or quit trolling your customers. There is NOTHING cute or newsworthy about this.

nnthemperor and darkmagistric like this.
  2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Covid rage.
    And yes, I completely get it.

dstrauss and nnthemperor like this.
  3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...A Trillion-dollar company that can't manage announcing a product and releasing it...>>

Amen...

nnthemperor likes this.
  4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...A Trillion-dollar company that can't manage announcing a product and releasing it...>>

This reminds me of an anecdote that I read years ago:

Perhaps not so much now, but years ago, eskimos lived pretty ascetic lives in what could be severe conditions. As part of their upbringing, young eskimo children would be offered a treat (or a bauble) and... stop me if this begins to sound familiar... when the child would reach for it, the treat would be withdrawn. This would be done repeatedly until the child became indifferent to the treat. Thus, the child would go on to live his life with what he had, and not wish for what he didn't...

I wonder if Microsoft understands what they are doing?

nnthemperor and Marty like this.
  5. djas

djas Graffiti User

My PocketEdge Duo: :D

IMG-20200719-WA0005.jpg

violajack, JoeS, desertlap and 2 others like this.
  6. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

nnthemperor likes this.
  7. dstrauss

Somebody with a 3D printer needs to make a hinged case for two Galaxy Note 10's and call it a day!

nnthemperor likes this.
  8. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I bet you that'll be even more useful than the elusive Surface Duo. A bird in hand..., right?

Sent from my SM-P205 using Tapatalk

dstrauss likes this.
  9. dstrauss

I've really thought about this before, and all I'd really need is the ability to enable a clipboard between the devices over bluetooth, but haven't found a universal clipboard.

nnthemperor likes this.
  10. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

So a couple of things this morning. I reread Clay Cristensen's book The Innovators Dilemma over the weekend. Still a seminal book especially when it comes to the concept of disruptive innovation which he for all intents and purposes coined the term.

I'm not going to rehash the book here, but it did cause me to rethink the latest iteration of Windows X, the Duo and the Neo.
    So first of all, one lesson that many don't get from his books is that virtually no company succeeded when they explicitly set out to disrupt a market or technology (with possibly SalesForce being the execution that proves the rule).

So through the lens of disruptive innovation, perhaps Windows X, the duo, the Neo and maybe even the Pro X are actually the front line of truly next generation "always connected devices".

The difference this time being that not only do they need an always on connection to be useful, but also to offload of lot of the processing and "heavy lifting" as well.

That's as far as I've gotten at this point, but it does change the way you look at MS latest efforts in general and the huge amount of work they have poured in to O365 and azure.

EDIT: I left off my summary sentence somehow. Perhaps what MS is doing is trying to solidify the idea of a "cloud personal computer" , taking the grain of the idea of Chromebooks to it's logical endpoint. aka, computing as a service.

Thoughts from lockdown purgatory for Wednesday morning :):D

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
    nnthemperor and JoeS like this.