Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Nope - my bet is 855 - this delay just let’s the new Movial employees to scrub Android some more.

Bishop likes this.
  2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I wonder if this slight delay was in response to Samsungs. Since that newer fold (with S-pen? rumored) would be likely the main competitor to the Surface Duo, obviously Microsoft was trying to release the Duo to steal some of that thunder from Samsung. With Samsung's device delayed till September/October, that would give MS a little more time to get it ready.

But I'm curious if this indicates that the DUO might have some surprise feature(s) in store. Otherwise, even if the release was pushed to sometime in August, they would still be able to release prices/proper full specs/ and make it open for pre-ordering weeks/months before the actual release. They've done that for other products, the fact that they haven't with the DUO would almost suggest they don't want to tip their hat to something.

daddyfish likes this.
  3. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

That didn't come out of nowhere, but is essentially a distillation of two things.

One: Random and possibly dubious chatter on Google's android dev boards by those who claimed to have used the Duo and described it as "laggy" or "stuttery"

Second and more importantly, The next version of Android allegedly has explicit support for dual screens ,including code that MS has contributed. The newest 865 and 875? also supposedly have changes to the video cores to address dual screens.

Last but not least, if it's going to be delayed as much as rumored, releasing at what will at that point be an old chip, not to mention the likely premium price (they somehow have to recoup what has got to be an expensive bill of materials), will absolutely doom it in the market.

My two cents from lockdown (once again) this morning...

4. dstrauss

[​IMG]

As a fellow jail bird (even though my rapid test came back negative) I tend to agree with @desertlap - and fear that it may be doomed as too little and too late even by this holiday season, much less the over exuberant wishes to beat the Galaxy Fold 2 to market this fall.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  5. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

dstrauss likes this.
  6. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Well , here to pour more cold water on the Duo, but....

The mystery SKUs I mentioned have disappeared and have not been replaced and.....

Our partner is now hearing a February 2021 announcement. That last is pretty tenuous, but they also never received the anticipated follow on information that would have supported an August 4th announcement.

PS: Next gen Samsung fold is also rumored to have slipped.

7. JoeS

JoeS New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

"Like" for providing information, but also: "Ugh"

8. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

Indeed. Thanks for the info, @desertlap, but sheesh, why did I ever start to get interested again? Will I never learn? :rolleyes:

nnthemperor and JoeS like this.
  9. dstrauss

It's all my fault, I'm sure. Problem is our new overlords at Apple will have all those shiny new A-Series Macs, MacBooks, and MacBook Pros rolling out with all our iPad favorite apps, Office 365, and Adobe CC running like tops and attacking our AMEX Cards before any of these new toys from MS and its OEM's hit the shelves...I hear the Sirens calling...

[​IMG]

10. JoeS

JoeS New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

Panos showing off his Covid pants and some tablet thingy:

upload_2020-7-16_14-19-3.jpeg