Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I'm with you, and maybe they will tip the scales in favor of making this an essential addition to your Surface arsenal.

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

If they can price it for the same $799 as the Pro 7 bundle, I'll likely get one. $1500 hell no.

nnthemperor and daddyfish like this.
  3. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I am not sure if comparison with the Pro X makes much sense considering MS needs to watch out it does not step on OEMs' toes with Windows products (e.g. business tablets and at the time possible Pro X clones). Also hardware wise the pricing of the Prox X made at least some sense (as a premium looking tablet with very thin bezels and still strong body), the problem was more WOA related. In that regard, the Duo ships with a SD 855 which is now slightly outdated, so while there is the Surface tax the older processor might cancel that out (partially)?
    Granted MS still priced the m3 version of the Go 2 rather high, but that might be related to Intel pricing the processor to high.

The only reason I can think of MS would price the Duo very high is if they don't really expect to sell the Duo (apart from a few orders) and instead it purely functions as a test device to help develop a Duo 2.

4. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

FWIW, far from official , but we are hearing a base price of $999 and $1149 for the model that everyone here will want.

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

That upper price would be welcome relief given what I've been conjecturing - but I may have nailed the base. Given how this is "not a phone" but a mini-tablet, why even have teh 64gb model with no SDXC support?

nnthemperor likes this.
  6. desertlap

I think they are borrowing from Apple's sales playbook. If you could get quadruple the storage (256GB) for only $150 more that's an easy upsell and increases MS margins to boot.

In other words, the 256GB iPhone 11 Pro far outsells the 64GB, especially at retail.

dstrauss likes this.
  7. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

The 64GB phones exist for carrier loss leaders and BOGO promotions.

8. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

Well, some of us do fine on 64GB. My iPhone 11 Pro 64GB has 38GB free and I only temporarily have that reduced, such as with podcasts or videos downloaded for later which I subsequently delete.

daddyfish, dstrauss and desertlap like this.
  9. desertlap

So do many companies where they are supplying the device versus the user. Government as well

10. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Guess it'll be a pass for me. If I'm going that high, I'd rather do it for the Neo. Got the Tab A with S-pen already.

Sent from my SM-P205 using Tapatalk

daddyfish, djas and dstrauss like this.