Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I would have preferred if one of the screens was an AdvancedColorEPaper2.0 display. I am waiting for Lenovo's iteration on this form factor.

WillAdams likes this.
  2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I really don't understand the hype...>>

...I don't understand how you can be so critical of a prototype that you haven't personally seen or touched, much less test driven.

Calm down and cut some slack, dude...

Kumabjorn and dstrauss like this.
  3. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

Fair enough, I guess. Just keep in mind that some of us have already gone through the dual-screen smartphone excitement, imagining the possibilities, let down, and sad decision that such a device is not for “me”. Long ago. I was a big Axon fan, active on their forums, two years ago when ZTE released their version.

84B89544-D3E9-4489-AFE7-7C408219F43D.jpeg

siddhartth, ORTOX and WillAdams like this.
  4. Steve S

<<...Just keep in mind that some of us have already gone through the dual-screen smartphone excitement...>>

...Little things can make big differences, both from form factor and software. Duo (and Neo) aren't done, yet.

Take a breath and relax...

dstrauss and Bronsky like this.
  5. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

? Um, okay...

I think I’ll take a break until the forum returns to it’s normal state. Sorry to interrupt the excited frenzy. Is there a male version of “Debbie Downer” or “Negative Nancy”? Yeah, sorry for being that at this happy time ...

Bronsky and JoeS like this.
  6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I have to say that MS is on the perfect trajectory on the whole folding device concept. I don't care how many times Samsung says you can fold the display, nor Corning's progress on foldable Gorilla Glass - we are YEARS away from an of that being practical. This Courier-like design, both for the mini tablet and phone, is the way to go (and I've been saying that for several years now).

ORTOX and WillAdams like this.
  7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Plus if they do work out the kinks (pun intended) with foldable displays, the UI really doesn't have to change. So they can keep the overall format and OS, and just iterate the device. I may not buy it, but I like it!

8. kontrol1

kontrol1 Scribbler - Standard Member

Is there going to be a smaller stylus like S-Pen to go along with the duo? If so where does it get stored? Guess they will revise the hardware to include a slot before the release. Also outside camera and a mini display outside would make it usable as a phone as we use them today.

siddhartth likes this.
  9. Steve S

<<...I think I’ll take a break until the forum returns to it’s normal state...>>

@dellaster Let's be clear: It's not about your preferences for one form factor or another. You can like or dislike any form factor that you want to.

It's about instant, shoot-from-the-hip negative comments about a piece of technology that is still a work in progress that can change in significant ways before it ever becomes available as a product. I'm sure that this reaction was exactly what Panos feared and why he was so nervous to display Neo / Duo.

New product development is a fragile process and many companies have developed a culture that is risk averse. So negative reactions, before the product can be fully fleshed out, can have a serious effect on whether that product lives or dies prematurely. At the very least, Microsoft might be motivated to return to secrecy, and never again have an early preview. Would that benefit us as Microsoft customers?

Or can we be more measured in our reactions and simply give Panos and the Surface Team some slack to let them develop and refine their concepts before rejecting them? That's my point.

And, PS, I hope you noticed that it wasn't your post that I was originally commenting on. If you took offense, it wasn't intended...

Kumabjorn likes this.
  10. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

How bout "Dismal @dellaster"? :D

No but, I actually enjoy hearing the skeptical side from you. This forum would be a dreary place if we were all in agreement, 100% of the time.

(And hey, you bought the Axon, so there must be a smaall part of you that's actually is hype and wants this to succeed. ;))

I would actually give Panos and Surface team more credit. They are a resilient bunch that endured 2 years of mockery from the tech press over the original Surfaces.

I think he put out these product previews, specifically to hear that burn and derision, and because he knew the Neo/Duo were solid enough to generate an equal amount of enthusiasm.

So bring on the cheers—and the jeers—it's all good!

JoeS likes this.