Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I utterly disagree with this bit.

"It needs to arrive with a premium price tag regardless of the older specs inside. Microsoft can't start the conversation on this product line devaluing the Surface brand just because Android enthusiasts are used to bargain-basement prices on slightly older chipsets."

You can get an i5/8GB/128GB Surface Pro 7 with keyboard for $799, I know phones can command higher prices (for many kind of BS reasons), but an overinflated price for the Duo will also alienate fans and buyers of the Surface brand. As much as I'm intrigued by the duo, a premium price for whats really an unproven gimmick at this point just won't win over an affordable price for a proven utility as would be the case with the $799 Pro 7, or even the Go2. An affordable price does not devalue the Surface line, thats why we have $799 Pros and 2K Books, and I'd wager most Surface users would have that Pro over the Book because of the price. The conversation Microsoft needs to start will be irrelevant if no one is listening/buying it.

JoeS likes this.
  2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Not directly, but Xamarin is supposed to make it easy to make an app using .Net that works for UWP, iOS, and Android.

daddyfish likes this.
  3. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

, does this mean that almost the entire program can be programmed in the UWP section of Xamarin (in contrary to the shared or Android section) and the app will still work on the Duo? Like say I want to use the UWP inking tools, do those work on the Duo? (I am still fairly new to Xamarin)

4. jhoff80

I don't think it works quite like that, but I'm not a developer. My understanding though is that type of UI stuff needs to be part of the native coding.

5. jhoff80

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Sorry @darkmagistric, but the the Surface Duo is guaranteed to be overpriced, just like Galaxy Note 20 and iPhone 12. First, "Surface" is a premium name, despite the SG2 and some SP7 discounts. Second, it is a "new ground breaking design," and it's not just a phone, but a mini-productivity tablet. If a miracle occurs, the 64gb unit might crack under $1000, but you can bet the 256gb model is going to push $1500 at least - not a matter of bill of costs or even recouping R&D, it's ego, and no way MS' hero device is going to be "underpriced" relative to Samsung and Apple...

nnthemperor likes this.
  7. darkmagistric

@dstrauss the only thing is though....end of day....it’s an android tablet that folds in half make it pocketable. Given the size when unfolded...it should be comparable to the iPad Mini 5 which is the king of mini productivity tablets. It doesn’t matter how groundbreaking it is, if Microsoft markets it more as a mobile tablets at a $1000-$1500 range, it might as well be DOA....despite Samsung still holding on, Android tablets just do not sell well anymore, nor do they really excite people anymore, especially at premium prices.

The iPad was technically a ground breaking device when it came out, but that Apple was smart and priced it affordable at $500, had they priced it out the door to $1000+ for the base model, I don’t think it’s popularity would have exploded the way it did.

What Microsoft should do....make this thing Reasonably Affordable...just to see if people will buy it. And if it’s a runaway success, then offer the Duo 2 in two configurations. The under $600-$800 Duo 2, and then a $1500 Duo 2 Pro.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    dstrauss and nnthemperor like this.
  8. jhoff80

I mean, this is the same company who released a niche ARM64 tablet (which I love, but we all know it's a niche), which can't run everyone's programs and wasn't ready for launch, pricing it at $999 - $1799 with a $139 - $269 keyboard sold separately...

dstrauss and dellaster like this.
  9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@darkmagistric - please understand, I don't disagree with what you say, just that it is not going to happen. I have to agree with @jhoff80 above - look at the Surface Pro X as a good example of what is going to happen. I don't even understand why it is a "Pro" in the Surface sense.

nnthemperor likes this.
  10. darkmagistric

I know, but is it wrong to want to cling to a little hope before Microsoft snuffs it out.

The Surface Pro X....I fully agree it was mis-named, mis-promoted, and grossly mis-priced, but my impression on the Pro X is that its largely been a failure for Microsoft primarily because of performance/compatibility issues and price. Now the performance/compatibility is clearly the more complicated issue since its largely out of Microsofts hands, thats more up to the chip makers and software developers, there's only so much Microsoft can outright do themselves. But the price is 100% in Microsoft ability to manage. If anything the failure of the Pro X could very well inspire Microsoft to take a more affordable approach since the Duo is in a similar position. How useful its dual screen nature will be, will be ultimately up to the majority of app developers who develop for it. If the only apps that work well with it are Office and One Note, I feel its largely gonna have the same problems as the Pro X.