Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The Duo 1 unfolded is very much on par with the new iPad Mini 6, I literally just compared the size yesterday.

On the matter of the hinge, I too dislike how it outright cuts the middle content out instead of just moving it up or down. However for the purpose of screencaps, the screencap will have the full image at least.

Part of me wishes Microsoft would have taken the Duo more towards the fold with some sort of solution for the hinge gap. Without going to the level of an actual fold, I think something to the effect of scaled down ROG Bezel free kit (intended for triple monitors) could work well with the duo's concept.

https://rog.asus.com/us/monitors/accessories/rog-bezel-free-kit-abf01-model/

dellaster and nnthemperor like this.
  2. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

We got a duo 2 in for certification. Just statred testing, but after some hands on this weekend....

Noticeably faster in virtually everything from starting up to installing big games.
    Both displays get a good bit brighter and are also much more accurate out of the box.

The cameras are night and day better than the original duo. I'd initially call them a couple of ticks below the iPhone or the s21, but still in the top tier. The camera bump does seem a bit awkward when the duo is folded back and now is a major lint trap if you put in your pocket that way,

Still pondering the software changes, they seem to have improved multitasking and moving apps back and forth between singe and dual display now works with out crashing most apps. OTOH, they seem to have broken a bunch of 3rd party apps, including Kindle, but allegedly a fix is imminent.

Definitely feels bigger and bulkier in hand and pocket than the original duo, but not extremely so.

dellaster, JoeS, bloodycape and 4 others like this.
  3. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Great! Are the bezels noticeably narrower? I still feel most of the software tweaks would be applied to the OG Duo with the Android 11 update.

Sent from my SM-N975C using Tapatalk

4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

nnthemperor and negative1 like this.
  5. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Side by side with old and new they do look narrower, but again not a dramatic difference. And MS has told us that the UI enhancements will "mostly " come to the original Duo when it gets Android 11. They haven't clarified what "mostly" means though.

And agreed @JoeS I will post anything further on the Duo 2 in the new thread.

daddyfish, nnthemperor and JoeS like this.
  6. nnthemperor

Thanks senior comrade

Sent from my SM-P205 using Tapatalk

7. nnthemperor

So, my BuyDig open box SDuo finally arrives, and I get about trying to get the unlock code from MS. It says to get out by completing a simple form online on the AT&T site. I do that, enter my device's IMEI, and confirm I'm no a robot. Then it says the device's still registered in the AT&T network and to get the original use to unregister it, or call from an AT&T mobile phone. . Every other attempt at reaching customer support wants me to sign in first, but I don't have an AT&T contact.

My question:
    Anyone recently bought and unlocked a SDuo? Is it possible to skip the past about getting a case# from At&T, and still get MS to send me the unlock code?

Don't wanna use this as a gloried tablet.

Sent from my SM-N975C using Tapatalk

daddyfish and dstrauss like this.
  8. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I didn't have to deal with AT&T at all. I just called MS support directly (following this process) and after 4 business days called in again to get the unlock code.

Let us know how it goes. ;)

dstrauss and nnthemperor like this.
  9. nnthemperor

Thanks a million, bro. Really loving my Duo. Just the little things that I can't imagine with a single screen that amaze me.

Sent from my Surface Duo using Tapatalk

dstrauss and Bishop like this.
  10. nnthemperor

Probably speaking too soon, but so far I'm more inclined to upgrade to the Duo 2 than the GZF3. Having a screen this size is like a dream come true.

Sent from my Surface Duo using Tapatalk

Kumabjorn, Eltos and dstrauss like this.