Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

I’ll reconsider the Duo when M$ gets the software right - and it’ll take a lot to get me to go back to Android/Google.

Sincerely hope Duo Deux helps you.

nnthemperor likes this.
  2. Bishop

It does have GPS. It’s bright enough. I was basically using my SDuo as a folding iPad Mini that could make calls and text. Not sure what M$ was shooting for, other than a wider screen ratio.

nnthemperor likes this.
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I said that to, up until 4 weeks ago...

dellaster and nnthemperor like this.
  4. Bishop

True, but EMR is your siren which "opened" you to SGZF3. I'd been dealing with A/G on SDuo for almost a year. That year reminded me why I quit android the last time:
    • I prefer Windows
    • I can't completely escape iOS, and
    • A third ecosystem's idiosyncrasies and UI/UX discontinuities are more than my limited attention span can keep up with.
    When it comes to A/G and even with EMR, the juice ain't worth the squeeze - for me. More power to those for whom it works.

I need to start a new thread over in the Apple list waxing philosophic about the iPad Mini 6/Air/2021.

nnthemperor and dstrauss like this.
  5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I'm assuming that it is not an accident that the Duo unfolded has the same size/aspect ratio as the Mini in Landscape.

nnthemperor and dstrauss like this.
  6. Bishop

I suppose. Or a subtle reference to the aborted Surface Mini? BTW, here's a "spanned" view:

upload_2021-9-27_9-52-54.png

JoeS, nnthemperor and Bronsky like this.
  7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Although I don't often watch videos, that dividing line in the middle is a major distraction.

nnthemperor and Eltos like this.
  8. Bishop

I don't either, but when I did, I ran video on just one side - inverted standing "V" - you know, M$ "tent" posture. Or as shown above fully opened, video on one side, different app on the other.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Although I don't often watch videos, that dividing line in the middle is a major distraction...>>

I watch spanned videos somewhat often. Typically, the screen gap doesn't bother me, but on the occasion when it does I simply go to single screen in tent posture like @Bishop . Now that we have once again been graced with football season, watching live TV on my Duo has been great!

<<...I'm assuming that it is not an accident that the Duo unfolded has the same size/aspect ratio as the Mini in Landscape...>>

I think it's more likely that this is one of a few "ideal sizes" (for humans) that both Apple and Microsoft have determined from focus groups and hardware sales...

10. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

Very likely.

The thing that bothers me about the gap is the missing content. It's treating the hinge as if it had screen and you'd have to scroll up or down to read that invisible line. I'm pretty sure I would find that annoying with readable material. Probably not so much with video.

JoeS, Steve S, Bronsky and 2 others like this.