Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Hopefully, this motivates Microsoft to get the Duo out now.

nnthemperor likes this.
  2. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Good lord! Imagine the price of an Apple duo!!! (Faints)

What would be good... is for one side to have a camera dedicated to photography, with the other side having a camera dedicated to making video. You could then record video, whilst taking various pictures at THE SAME TIME!

3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, it would likely be the first $3000 phone.:eek:

I don't actually take the idea of a dual screen iPhone seriously yet. Apple frequently will produce patent applications for stuff well in to the future (if ever)
    That's a criticism of our patent system BTW. There's a good argument to be made that if you don't produce an actual tangible product using your patent within a certain period of time, that the patent either expires or becomes invalid.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    dstrauss and nnthemperor like this.
  4. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Or it might put them to shame and send the Duo the way of the courier if a dual screen iPhone looks totally seamless in the middle with slim bezels all around.

Sent from my F2 using Tapatalk

dstrauss and Bronsky like this.
  5. desertlap

BTW: I'm 99% sure the Duo is coming and coming soon. If it will be successful or not is a totally different question. I do think it will live or die on two things though. First is if MS can produce a compelling UI and apps that take advantage of dual screens.

Second, and I'd argue MS bigger opportunity is to produce a phone that actually has an OS support and update policy and process that is more like an iPhone.

I can't count the number of conversations i'v observed where a company is comparing a Samsung S series phone and an iPhone. The the fact that Apple is still updating 3-4 year old phones and Samsung in many cases stops after about 24 months, 99% of the time swings it to the iPhone.

nnthemperor and Mesosphere like this.
  6. Bronsky

For the life of me, I can't figure out why I would want one of these (the Duo that is). Hopefully, Microsoft can make a compelling case because I do want to have more gadgets and devices to obsess over. When you go to one device (+ phone) you have to up the rate of turnover to keep the tech lust satiated. If not, it spills over into other areas of your life.:vbeek:

7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

8. desertlap

@Bronsky, based solely what I know from you here, I'd think you would be the consumer that MS would target with the Duo given your fondness for the Galaxy Note.

The fact that you aren't all that interested speaks volumes about what MS may be lacking in making this truly compelling device.

Speaking for our customer base, the interest is really all about having a well supported alternative to the iPhone. Only Samsung comes even remotely close with Knox, but their update policy and their "throw it at a wall and see what sticks" approach to developing product lines really holds them back

nnthemperor and Bronsky like this.
  9. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I hope this means an update to Android OneNote is coming and coming soon.

Kumabjorn, Bishop and JoeS like this.
  10. Bronsky

OMG Outlook as well!