Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Duo is running a Qualcomm ARM chip running Android. X is running a Qualcomm ARM chip running Windows. How f'n hard is it to have it run both?!? Don't you remember all those Chinese sub $200 Win10 tablets that dual booted that MS shut down years ago?

siddhartth, ORTOX, Tams and 1 other person like this.
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Yeah presumably not f’n hard at all. Google is strongly opposed to dual-boot devices, but MS could simply offer the device in two flavors, or allowing people to reset to either Android or Win10. I’d be on board! I’m just saying that based on the announcement, for now there’s no x86 support.

siddhartth likes this.
  3. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The barrier is due to the fact that in order to see the screen, you need to have it folded open or folded back. Folded open would mean you're holding up a tablet to take a photo with, not ideal. Folding it back means that you're using the camera that they can cram inside the bezel of the device. Front-facing cameras like those are typically not great quality. That being said, yes it is only a preview, and there's time to change.

For what it's worth, Wired mentioned this as well:
    https://www.wired.com/story/microsoft-surface-duo-neo-phone/

dellaster likes this.
  4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Secure boot for windows pretty much kills that right now. I'm sure It's not impossible to get around but not trivial either.

EDIT: And windows on ARM safe boot protection is an order of magnitude harder to bypass than intel

5. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

Ok. First reaction: cool hardware, but not as a phone. I can't fathom having to open it to see who's calling.

It's going to take a REAL transformational UI/app combination to get me to do this one - and give my privacy away to the Google Play Store.

dellaster likes this.
  6. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I always thought that these dual-screen devices should take a cue from Samsung's LED cover, or from LG's V10. Just a small, touch-sensitive notification screen that can show the most basic interactions and notifications:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

siddhartth, dellaster and Bishop like this.
  7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

I'm not concerned about a camera on this device. As @Bronsky wisely pointed out, this thing is only a prototype at this time. The Surface Team's penchant for building exquisite-appearing hardware may have done them a bit of a disservice this morning because both the Neo and the Duo looked so polished. One could be forgiven for thinking that it was a finished product, but Panos made it crystal clear that both devices needed further development...

Returning to the camera for just a moment, doesn't anyone remember the Microsoft patent that surfaced (no pun) over a year ago that showed a 2-part camera concept that worked as a webcam when the folding device was open and as a high-quality camera when the folding device was closed? There's still plenty of time to incorporate a suitable camera and to work out the other issues mentioned here. See the link:

https://www.windowslatest.com/2018/...-patent-surface-phone-improved-camera-design/

Bronsky likes this.
  8. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

upload_2019-10-2_20-43-56.png

They do have a rear camera cut out on one of their prototype device (in black color as well). Image source -

Jump to 5:06

Marty likes this.
  9. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'll be a good boy from today Gotta get my 2020 Xmas list ready.

Sent from my SM-P205 using Tapatalk

10. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I really don't understand the hype -
    • It's not the Best dual display out there
    • LG has a dual display which much thinner bezels, better display quality and probably a better camera.
    • Its huge bezels in the age of waterfall displays are just unacceptable
    • It's has nothing more to offer than Note10, except for the display, which can be achieved by after market accessories.
    • Doesn't have a pen silo.
    • Doesn't run Windows 10 X, the new lighter version of Windows optimised for dual screen, instead it runs Android.
    Instead it's the little software changes in Excel and words that got my attention

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    efjay likes this.