Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I have to say @Tams you ripped Daniel a new one...

Bishop likes this.
  2. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Too much?

Ah well, it's done now. I'm sure he has the power to delete comments if they upset him too much.

His name seems familiar from somewhere... I think Michael Fischer (MrMobile) is friends with him and one of his ex colleagues? Anyway, I digress and will stick to discussing his (lack of) professionalism.

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Nope - it was not too much - yeah he and Mr. Mobile are friends - they were on Fischer's review of the Galaxy Z fold 3.

He' generally not a bad sort from what I've watched, but he is a mega shill for Microsoft (all that insider crap and hanging out with MS big wigs) and VERY DEFENSIVE of his opinons.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    Tams and nnthemperor like this.
  4. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That's a shame, but to be expected I suppose.

But it is also a problem with the whole reviewer world. Even most of the good ones spend a few weeks, maybe months with a device at most. And are very willing to trump features/use cases/etc. when they do or have no intention of fully testing them. He put it in his pocket! Wow! Such a test!

In fact, the only tech reviewer that I really trust is DC Rainmaker as he does use quite a few devices as long term as a tech reviewer can. The man regularly goes running with an armful of smartwatches.

But I'm derailing this thread now (perhaps I should start a rant one), so back to the Duo:

It certainly looks better. But as I said, it seems just that bit too big for me. I don't really need another bag device. Depending on people's use cases though, I can certainly see it being a great device.

Eltos likes this.
  5. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

Can one of you guys compare the note taking and pdf markup experience on a Duo with a Samsung Note? That would be the only compelling reason I'd buy the Duo 2 as I don't see an advantage of having the two smaller screens with a gap. Overall, how was the Duo and stylus combination for notes? Does the Duo 2 improve the writing experience; I didn't see much about it on the web site?

6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Can one of you guys compare the note taking and pdf markup experience on a Duo with a Samsung Note?..>>

@mgerbasio : I can comment a little bit on this. I owned a GN9 before I bought my Duo, but the two only overlapped a couple of days because I decommissioned my GN9 and traded it in. What I can say is that I was never very comfortable inking on the GN9 because of the extreme aspect ratio of the screen. I could barely get two words on a line. In addition, the stick pen, besides being marginal to hold, suffered from the usual hard-plastic-on-glass inking feel; very slippery. Although I took occasional notes, I never used it as much as I thought I would for the above reasons, but principally because of the aspect ratio.

By contrast, I have found the Duo to be much more inking friendly. The wider screen makes for a more user-friendly inking experience and both the Surface Pen and the Surface Slim pen offer better nibs with some "bite" to mitigate the feel on the slick glass screens. Indicative of this, I can tell you that I've taken many more notes, literally many pages more, on my Duo than I ever did on my GN9. If note taking is a primary focus for you, I will categorically say that the Duo (and presumably the Duo 2) are superior to the Galaxy Note in that respect.

Bishop and nnthemperor like this.
  7. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

I still have my note 9. Here's the same page in onenote on both for comparison.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-P615 using Tapatalk

8. mgerbasio

Steve, Violajack, thanks so much for the comments and photos. I recently tried the Onyx Nova3 and that didn't quite workout for notes but it is a nice ereader. If MS has a 30 day return period, I'll pick up a Duo; maybe I'll look around for a cheap used Duo to try out.

Edit: Return period is 60 days, I'll get $700 trade in for my Note 20U so I ordered one which I plan to use on T-Mobile; hopefully no compatibility issues. Edit2: The Duo2 has an esim,

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    nnthemperor likes this.
  9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I ordered one which I plan to use on T-Mobile...>>

As a fellow T-Mobile customer, you have my deepest condolences. Little known fact: The "T" in T-mobile stands for "Terrible."

10. mgerbasio

Is that in reference to using it with the Duo or generally?

T-Mobile service is still good in the NYC Metro area, I'm finishing up a job in NYC (Hell's Kitchen), and service could be better but in general it isn't any worse than AT&T or Verizon at the job site. Customer Service has definitely taken a nose dive in the past few years and network security is poor with yet another breach. All the things that made them a the scrappy underdog competing with the three big guys are now gone. John Legere was a really good transformational CEO, all that is over.

nnthemperor and dellaster like this.