Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

If he's right and the camera bump is real, I'm out. Trying to take a photo with the screen in some semi folded posture and losing screens-folded-out-completely-closed mode are two huge steps backward IMHO.

2. dellaster

dellaster “Content Consuming Child” Senior Member

Bronsky and yodamiked like this.
  3. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Well FWIW, all models of the Duo are showing as unavailable in our portal as of yesterday. Not clear what that means, but the last time we saw something like that was a couple of weeks before the Surface Book 3 was announced and the Book 2 was listed the same way.

dellaster and yodamiked like this.
  4. dellaster

dellaster “Content Consuming Child” Senior Member

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    daddyfish likes this.
  5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

And I just got my unlock code today, and it worked no problem.

So my request for the unlock code was put in on July 19th, and unlock code received Aug 3rd, so about a 2 week turn around time. But if anyones on the fence over an a locked AT&T DUO, unlike reddit trolls, I can attest the AT&T Duos can indeed be unlocked.

6. ORTOX

ORTOX Scribbler - Standard Member

I pulled the trigger three weeks ago. Although I didn't jump in on the Woot or Daily Steals deals. I'm not on AT&T and didn't want to go through the hassle of the unlocking process. Decided to get the 256 GB model from Best Buy. They list it for $750 unlocked without activating service at the store, but they price matched Microsoft's online store (which is selling it for $700). I was happy to just pay more to get it unlocked from the factory. So far, I'm loving it. Although it's taking longer to get used to than I expected it would.

One question I have that I can't find the answer to. Is there any way to enable battery saver options without actually enabling the true battery saver mode? I want to "reduce animations" and do other things to make my battery last longer, but I don't want battery saver to stop applications from running in the background.

JoeS likes this.
  7. rabilancia

rabilancia Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't have any specific answer for you, but I just came across these TIPS this morning.

ORTOX and Bishop like this.
  8. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

2 things: 1. Turn the brightness down. 2. When you don't need both screens, fold it back and work on 1 screen.

daddyfish and dstrauss like this.
  9. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

+1 on this especially on keeping the screen brightness down. All the years I have been working with displays my experience is that the vast majority of users have them set brighter than they really need the to be. Not only does reducing the brightness significantly improve battery life, but almost all displays perform at their very best in the 40_60% brightness range. This includes things like color gamut and accuracy, linearity and uniformity. And It can increase the useful life of the display by as much as 35%

daddyfish, dstrauss and Bishop like this.
  10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Also +1