Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

[​IMG]
    , considering the camera is placed angled on the casing, it seems like it can still be used for one-handed mode at circa 350-355 degrees (quick guess). I wonder if you can put it like that in your pockets (maybe with a cover or bumper around it).

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Spoiler: camera angled...>>

That's a detail that a "phony" prototype likely wouldn't have. Also note the (apparently) raised lip or rim that surrounds the camera bump (so that when folded, the other side of the Duo does not contact the camera glass cover). I have my Duo folded back a lot and I like the fact that it remains flat that way.

Unfortunately, we might very well be looking at the Duo Deux. Good catch, @daddyfish!

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Another's opinion: I disagreed with Zac over there - this is not a "chill out" moment. The Fold 3 will hit before they get the Duo Deux out; it has lost its single claim to fame - a beautiful and sleek design (I forgive the width because of the dual screen advantage). It is fugly to go with a suspect future. I sure hope it is fake; if not, it a blatant attempt to blunt release day bad press.

nnthemperor and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Keep in mind, Microsoft did have the Duo 1 revealed almost a full year before its release, and what we got was essentially what they showed for the most part. Just given how much time has passed, and lord knows how many prototype concepts they likely devised, I'm starting to suspect these leaked DUO 2 pics might actually be a DUO 1. I know I defended the camera bump, but now with more views of it, that camera bump does look somewhat thicker then the bumper's bump, meaning reverse fold might be well impacted by that specific bump. That could very well be a later stage DUO1, but the compromised reverse fold maybe persuaded Microsoft to go without it for the production run?

nnthemperor and dstrauss like this.
  6. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

A third opinion about the camera "bump".

I'm for improving the camera as the current one was possibly acceptable for 2015, but not for 2021.

OTOH, I'm not happy that to make use of this much better camera, you are now forced to use it in "tablet" mode which means essentially you are holding an iPad Mini sized device up to take a photo.

Despite the obvious "OMG what are you doing taking photos with a tablet" stuff, practical reality is that it's still going to be more challenging to take a photo with that arrangement including framing and holding it steady, issues which already exist when people try to take photos with their tablet.

Anybody with a duo can easily see what I'm talking about by just holding their current device in those hypothetical modes. For example, taking a vertical shot is going to feel especially awkward.

I personally would have preferred they enhance the camera that is in the existing location and I think they could still improve the results as the single lens/sensors in the Pixel line are quite good. Is it the equal of the camera in the iPhone Pro or Samsung S21? No but arguably it doesn't have to be.

EDIT: As I fixed a couple of typos in the above, I realized this is also is a solid argument that this is likely a fake.

BTW: I think the camera lump looking not quite aligned is an optical illusion caused by the way whoever took the shot held the camera which wasn't squared with the device. If you notice, the whole left edge looks slightly skewed inwards.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  7. daddyfish

, but what if you use it as a Nintendo DS when making photos? Will Nintendo fans start drooling over it? :D

ps: I just realized you can use the Duo 2 camera a bit like those SLR camera's with rotatable screens (though less flexible) to capture otherwise hard to get spots around corners etc.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    nnthemperor, dstrauss and desertlap like this.
  8. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'm too old for the Nintendo DS, though my son has one.

Nothing these days is 100% one way only. If they do go this route (still skeptical at the moment) it's not all that dissimilar to the compromises involved in using the current Duo as a phone. Either you carry it with screens folded outward, or you pretty much have to have a bluetooth headset in your ears all the time.

I opted for the former...

nnthemperor likes this.
  9. daddyfish

, I think you can still do that for the Duo 2, the gap is likely to small to prevent that. The exception might be putting it folded 360 degrees outwards in jean pockets. Personally I just put most calls on speaker already on my candybar phone but I can imagine that is not an option for most work scenario's.

10. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

THAT'S the right take.

Plus it would all but eliminate the single screen posture.