Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

2. dellaster

dellaster “Content Consuming Child” Senior Member

Color me skeptical, but that bulky triple camera bump, which would likely prevent the device from fully folding open, looks to me like something glued on. Fake, despite Windows Central’s claims to the contrary.
    659FBF5D-9FA9-4DEB-B6D9-76CF7D8CA783.jpeg

Bishop, ORTOX, nnthemperor and 2 others like this.
  3. yodamiked

yodamiked Do or do not. There is no try.

I had the same thought when I saw the photos. I also kind of hope they’re not real, as such a massive camera bump would take away one of its most useful “postures” (completely open).
    On a side note, I finally got to hold and play with a Duo for a few minutes. As others expressed months ago, the hardware feels fantastic. The software....

nnthemperor and dellaster like this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I sure hope that is WRONG - just slapping a big camera bulge on the back is like lipstick on a pig and a poor solution to some fundamental challenges - and it is going to look extraordinarily slapdash in face of the Fold 3...

nnthemperor and JoeS like this.
  5. dellaster

dellaster “Content Consuming Child” Senior Member

Now that I’ve switched to a cellular provider (AT&T) that accepts the Duo I’m hesitant to go near one. Good thing the nearest Best Buy is 250 miles away or more. That blow-out deal posted earlier in this thread is still going on, too. (Are they not selling even at $410 or did they make way too many of those AT&T versions? Yes, I asked this question before. :p)

Bishop, nnthemperor and dstrauss like this.
  6. yodamiked

yodamiked Do or do not. There is no try.

I was daydreaming about owning one for quite a while, but after 5 minutes of use, the software had dissuaded me. It was “jittery” for lack of a better word. Nothing felt overly smooth or responsive. That being said, a display model at BB may not be the best indicator given the abuse they receive. It’s also been a while since I’ve owned an android phone, so it’s possible I’ve just gotten use to the smoothness that iOS manages to maintain (despite iOS’s other shortcomings).

nnthemperor, dstrauss and dellaster like this.
  7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

As far as the bump goes, I wouldn’t be too worried. The Folds Bumper accessory actually creates a similar raised up bump on one side of the duo. It helps a lot in my opinion with grabbing the duo from a pocket. Since it’s interrupts the slippery smooth glass. However for folding it back in reverse, it really doesn’t stand in the way. Like it doesn’t do the full 360 reverse fold, but it still gets to 355, and it’s close enough that it doesn’t impact the revere fold usage adversely. And given the placement of that camera bump, I wouldn’t be surprised if the DUO 2’s bumper accessory incorporates that camera bump outright into it.

what worries me more is how you would use that camera. Reverse fold would block that camera, meaning to use that camera, you have to have the DUO closed which would be impossible without a 3rd screen, or use it fully unfolded, or at a 90 degree angle, which for a camera would be kind weird to use.

also, in other DUO 1 news, Microsoft didn’t give me any trouble in requesting the unlock code, but I still haven’t gotten it. Got one email from them saying it was taking extra time, but almost a week and still no unlock code.

8. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

BTW: The internet has ruined almost everything...

It used to be I'd see something like this or the new iPad mini rumors and get excited about the potential. Now my first reaction is of thinking all the ways it's likely fake. :confused:

9. negative1

negative1 Retro Surface fan

i think its an improvement over the original.

i'm glad that microsoft is making improvements with all the other specs in it too.

i'm sure it will be around the same price though. maybe a little cheaper.

later

nnthemperor likes this.
  10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@Bronsky - you an take this to the bank - don't waste any time on a "will he or won't he" thread for the Duo Deux...

Kumabjorn, nnthemperor and Bronsky like this.