Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

2. Steve S

3. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

I finally got away from the kids and got my hands on a duo at bestbuy. The screen was majorly cracked at the top hinge with spider cracks going down the whole left screen. It still worked, so I got to play around a bit at least. When I pointed it out to the sales associate, he remarked that the duo very rarely gets handled; most people don't know it's there. Not selling me on the durability here though.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

dstrauss likes this.
  4. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

I checked this morning, no monthly update was available. I just checked again, a 137 MB update is downloading. We'll see what's in it.

5. Steve S

<<... We'll see what's in it...>>

@Bishop : Thanks for the tip! I downloaded the update late yesterday after noticing your post.

Has anyone seen a changelog for this update? I searched, but came up dry.

Bishop likes this.
  6. Steve S

A follow-up on my last fingerprint reader comment. After more than nine weeks (since registering my prints), I finally had to delete and re-register my fingerprints. Contrary to my hopes, restarting the Duo did little to nothing in terms of improving the slow decline of the FP reader's performance. However, having said that, I will also say that this was far and away the best performance that I've ever gotten from this type of FP reader. Far from being disappointed, I give kudos to MSFT for such a simple, "high mileage" device!

After re-registering my prints, all is again working smoothly...

Chris_Kez likes this.
  7. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

FWIW and purely personal experience and unfortunately, a byproduct of the need to open it to do anything, AND, my clumsiness, I have dropped my Duo twice now.

The first time it went screen first from about 4 feet high, bounced off my leg and and did a face plant on a wood floor. Only thing noticeable was a small scuff at the extreme upper left edge on the left display.

The second time, it went skidding across a counter top , ending up on the floor, this time face up. It had multiple scuffs on the back of the case but no operational issues.

And yes, if you are wondering, being able to click on "excellent condition" when I go to the resale sites is pretty much a pipe dream for me :(

PS; @Steve S , periodically re-registering my fingerprint was the work around I have come to as well

Steve S likes this.
  8. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Oh man, hate it when that happens! I don't recall, did you get MS Complete with it? Upside, good thing that it basically survived both incidents. I 'feel you' on the resale issue. My X1 Yoga 3 with its pretty crappy black coating looks like it's a hundred years old because of all the scuffed/peeled paint. No way will I be able to sell this for more than 25% of its original purchase price. Which is why I'm hanging on to it, dammit! :D

Steve S and desertlap like this.
  9. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So it comes with the job (rough environments frequently), and the Duo is not unique in that respect. Microsoft complete specifically denied me a few years ago with my surface pro and pretty much has language to exclude me now.

Applecare OTOH, they don't love me, but they haven't banned me yet. :)

JoeS and Bishop like this.
  10. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

Here's what I found on Windows Central:

Update November 13 (3:39 p.m. ET) — Release notes now available
    Microsoft has now provided the release notes. Here's a look at what's new:

• Addresses scenarios outlined in the Android Security Bulletin - November 2020.
    • Refines camera image quality.
    • Improves moving or dismissing of apps when spanned across both screens.
    • Improves touch stability.
    • Improves device stability.
    For more, you can check out the Surface Update History for Surface Duo.

JoeS and Steve S like this.