Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Sorry pal, it's all I got left now that my tech cred is shot around here :D. Besides, your reign is entirely secure. :newpalm:

nnthemperor and dstrauss like this.
  2. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, $1100 now (BB) for beta features :p

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

That's only the 128gb model (remember, no mSDXC) and with activation of a new line with the carrier - you can get the same price for unlocked Galaxy Note 20u with 128gb (and an mSDXC slot) WITHOUT carrier activation...and no beta features...

nnthemperor likes this.
  4. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, well it is not that 128 gb storage on a phone is on the low side imo, especially factoring in the mediocre camera and OneDrive.

You are right about the activation, it is written kind of misleading, the real cost seems to be $1200 for unlocked.

Note 20ultra also loses big on available screen area which is the main reason to get the Duo, and if money is an issue why bother paying so much for a just a phone compared to other cheaper Notes (with exception of the niche heavy Dex usage).

nnthemperor and Bishop like this.
  5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

More post-update observations:
    • As recommended by @desertlap , I tried restarting my Duo to see if the fingerprint recognition improved. I think I'm seeing mixed results. There does appear to be some improvement, but only a little. I'll continue to watch this.
    • I now definitely think that last month's update overdid it in removing the "damping" ("lag" if you prefer) on autorotation. It's probably just me, but when I hold the Duo during a phone call, the UI is constantly... and I mean constantly... flipping back and forth. It's both distracting and also makes it quite difficult to hit the phone controls during a call (for example, to call up the keypad to enter a password). It's become a major annoyance to me. Microsoft should provide a user control to allow some customization of this behavior...

6. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

When I know I'm going to be either in single screen or side by side for an extended period, I go ahead and turn auto rotate off. I almost never use tent mode. When I'm going to be scrolling or using compose mode for long periods, I also turn auto rotate off.

Probably shouldn't have to...

7. Steve S

<<...Probably shouldn't have to...>>

No, you shouldn't. I think that this was an unfortunate knee-jerk reaction by Microsoft. Hopefully, Microsoft will readjust the damping on this in a future update...

8. Steve S

<<...a MS engineer suggested that I restart the duo if it's start happening with increasing frequency...>>

@desertlap : Unfortunately, a restart doesn't seem to have helped. I'll wait just a bit longer, but then I'm going to delete and re-register my fingerprints.

Still, the Duo FP reader performed better for longer than any other FP reader that I've had experience with, so good on MS for that...

desertlap likes this.
  9. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My one experience with it isn't clear. Restarting did seem to help somewhat, but the effect is short lived, so much so that I'm debating if it's worth the hassle of a restart.

10. Steve S