Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Hope still exists - thanks @Marty!

2. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Why not make changes to the HW? How expensive could that be? it's not like they've mass-produced them already.

Sent from my F2 using Tapatalk

3. nnthemperor

I agree

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...The EMR sensor lines can be printed on a flexible substrate, and it has been done before...>>

@Marty : Like you, not too concerned about this integration, but Wacom may still have to do some development work because of the extreme angle of the required fold. "Flexible" is one thing; "folded" may still be a little challenging, especially if slight differences in layer rigidity result in delaminations...

nnthemperor likes this.
  5. Steve S

<<...the hardware has essentially been ready to go for two years, with only iterative changes being made to the device since [italics mine]…>>
    <<...Why not make changes to the HW? How expensive could that be?..>>

@nnthemperor : I think that you're probably taking Bowden's "off the cuff" comment a little too literally. The hardware has probably been updated continuously, just not for major form factor features, like the size of the displays. A significant related issue is that, if Microsoft really intends to start availability in June, parts orders would have to already have been placed (and the coronavirus isn't making the lead time situation any better)...

nnthemperor likes this.
  6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Could it work with two separate EMR digitizers on each screen half and then software would figure out the missing values between the screens?

Tams, dstrauss and nnthemperor like this.
  7. Steve S

<<...Could it work with two separate EMR digitizers on each screen half...>>

It's likely to be highly dependent upon the width of the gap between the screens. Interactions between the two digitizers are likely to cause complications. Based on the inking comments here at TPCR, my guess is that our members probably wouldn't be happy!

dstrauss and Kumabjorn like this.
  8. nnthemperor

... but what others changes could they have made to bring the HW up to date without those outer and inner bezels, and the lack of a preview screen. They just got lazy and a rolling out a two-year old HW in 2020/21. Not cool!

9. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The mystique surrounding it is that until you just posted those pics....we've ....or at least I've never seen those before........ok.....so NOW knowing Wacom has been developing flexible EMR boards for....2 years now......I amend my conjecture.

10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@Kumabjorn - hope you are safe and healthy - may the disease pass your door.

I agree @nnthemporer - but I am now thinking they are serious about this NOT being a phone. They see it as a tablet with benefits - the 4g is mostly for data in their minds. Otherwise it really does need a preview screen on the front (look at the gas Samsung is getting about that tiny pill shaped window on the front of the Z Fold) and narrower width wise. Gentlemen, it is for you blazer pocket, ladies a purse; no skinny jeans allowed - sorry @Kumabjorn. As to your specific question Kuma - I think it wouldn't work - look how angry we all get with digitizer drift on the edge of a device - an actual gap, even with good software, would bring down the house.

Maybe in person it will seem more phone like, but as someone who downsized from an iPhone 8 Plus to a plain 10,even I have to wonder if this will handle being a phone as well as a productivity device. Has anyone seen the specs on physical dimension other than weight and thickness? Any idea the aspect ratio on those 5.6" screens?

nnthemperor likes this.