Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

She did the best job I've seen of demoing the SGZF2 in both orientations.

She also confirms @Steve S observations.

Steve S likes this.
  2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Honestly, I'm still not convinced that's a function of two separate screens versus just Microsoft having better multitasking software and better ratios for multitasking. Put two screens the size of the Fold's halves and put Samsung's software on the Duo, and would you really still be saying that two screens are better? Similarly, imagine the Fold with wider screens, and a software center 'bezel' along the seam that only goes away when you span both sides (and the rest of Microsoft's software), would you really be then saying one screen is worse?

I mean, I appreciate Microsoft's compromise that they feel that two screens is better for their needs today, because there's too many drawbacks in today's folding screen technology. You can't get something as durable with a folding screen, you can't get something that you can write on with a folding screen, and you can't get the 360-degree hinge on a folding screen. But I still don't see any of her use scenarios as being inherently better because of two screens. It's just that Samsung's software and aspect ratio are bad.

desertlap and efjay like this.
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Good find @Marty, and I would say the same is true of trying to do multi-window productivity apps on my iPad Pro.

Chris_Kez likes this.
  4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

After using the new fold 2 quite a bit this week, I agree with you. A good chunk of the multitasking improvements are in the apps themselves and can be deployed both on the Fold 2 and the new Tabs as well.

Much as I like my Duo, a fold 3 with pen would likely make me switch.

5. negative1

negative1 Retro Surface fan

Chris_Kez likes this.
  6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

7. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, I read several times here that Samsung should let the Fold fold over the other axis (edit: not bidirectional) so you get similar aspect ratio per screen half as with the Duo, but the problem with this is that the Fold is quite thick. The Duo is pocketable because it is much thinner. And it is not realistic that Samsung can make the Fold a lot thinner without sacrificing something (eg battery life or camera setup).
    That being said I agree with you that single screen multitasking can work very well too if the gestures (also for switching apps per screen part individually) are done well. Personally I multitask a lot on my windows laptop since with Win-key + left/right arrow it is quick anyway (and interestingly the software bezel seems to be more pronounced than seeing it on the Fold. Edit: This seems to be only the case in tablet mode.).

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  8. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Having the fold, fold the other way is unlikely to happen at least with current display they use. It's a basic physics problem. The display already has a "seam" that accommodates contraction when the unit is closed and then extends when the unit is in fully flat position. To allow for bidirectional folding it would have to have even more "slack" in it to accommodate the additional stretching required. I would think that additional material would make the seam too visible in flat mode, thus negating the whole point.

I am aware of the Huawei phone that folds the other way, but that's the point, the unit we saw s doesn't fold inward, for the same reason, folding both ways requires more "slack"

PS: Samsung filed for some new patents for "flexible glass" last week in their home country, It's likely an improvement over the fold 2 glass, but more importantly paves the way for s-pen support in the next version of the fold

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Having the fold, fold the other way is unlikely to happen at least with current display they use...>>

@desertlap : He's talking about folding from top to bottom, not "bidirectional"...

daddyfish likes this.
  10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup: