Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

:p back at you - MS hasn't been able to do that even in iOS (two Word or two Excel documents) - what makes you think they can do it in Android...:cool:

2. yodamiked

yodamiked Do or do not. There is no try.

Sadly the Duo is still too rich for me. Not to mention I recently moved back home to Canada, so isn't available here yet.

Funny you should mention that. I just put my order in for the m3 SG2 a couple of hours ago. Costco currently has the bundle for $750 Canadian, which works out to be about $560USD. Hard to pass at that price, especially with the extra year warranty you get at Costco.

dstrauss and Bronsky like this.
  3. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

Ha! We've come to a similar decision, although I haven't gotten the SG2 yet. It is all about the tradeoff between form factor and productivity. The smaller the form factor, the more availability (e.g. more likely you'll be carrying it), but the lower the productivity. And then there is the cost factor, Duo is smaller and has more "high tech", so it is more expensive. Is the increase in productivity worth the cost?

...and for me the answer is no for the Duo. I would not be $1,400 more productive that simply having my SP2017.

But due to lockdown, my SP2017 (SP5) isn't so bad. I don't mind carrying it to the few places that are open. I'm keeping an open mind with the Neo to see if it will be a third device between the SP2017 and my iPhone. The SG2 is also a little long in the tooth, so when lockdown lifts, I'll see what may meet my needs.

...but having said all this, the cloud is still the weak spot. The "grab and go" convenience of my SP2017 is high because if it isn't on OneDrive/OneNote, then it is local to the device. If I added a third device, then I'd need to make sure I'm all syned up before I grabbed it and took it out the door.

dstrauss likes this.
  4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

It's been two weeks living with my Duo. A few observations:
    • I can't believe it, but the fingerprint reader continues to work reliably with my thumb and index finger. Almost every other FP reader I've ever tried would have stopped working by now.
    • I've noticed that I tend to unfold the Duo into a very shallow "V" regardless of what I'm doing because for whatever reason, it seems a little more natural to hold it that way. However, the consequence of doing that is that, as I work on one screen, I frequently accidently touch the other screen, starting some random app that then needs to be closed. When opened flat, of course, this isn't a problem. Operator error!!
    • I have to say that so far, I'm sold. The dual screen concept works for me. As a comparison, I tried setting up my Go LTE with two apps open side-by-side. It worked, but I realized that the same two apps on the Duo work better for a subtle reason. When open on the Go, fixation can only be on one app or the other. When open on the Duo, both screens can separately have fixation. That makes working back and forth on the Duo more fluid...

jnjroach, Chris_Kez, thierryb and 5 others like this.
  5. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Anecdotally, the slightly less than flat position seems to be quite common . It certainly is for me and pretty much everyone I've observed using it as well. I think because your hands aren't flat either, slight folded just fits more naturally.

I suspect that if this really is a common thing, MS could tweak the palm rejection algorithm to reduce the accidental launch issues which has happened to me as well.

PS: I absolutely refuse to use the term "posture" :mad:even though many do. Mode seems to me to be better

PPS: I wish I could get the finger print reader to work as well for me. It's still less than 50% on the first try even after trying multiple digits. Maybe I should consider a career as a burglar ?:D

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    Bronsky and dstrauss like this.
  6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

For some reason posture invokes momma's "Sit up straight!"

7. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the report. Even though Duo doesn't seem to be for me now, I'm hoping that this is technology/a form factor that others adopt.

Is the Duo your only phone? If not, what features do you find yourself missing and needing to use another phone for?

8. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

I think the modern meaning is infected with suspicion of inauthenticity.

upload_2020-9-25_12-3-54.png

Bronsky, dstrauss and JoeS like this.
  9. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

Great insight, and my experience as well. I wonder if that implies a spatial size limitation to the dual screen effect? Would the Neo screen set up be too large to achieve it?

10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Is the Duo your only phone? If not, what features do you find yourself missing and needing to use another phone for?..>>

@b52hbuff : Yes, the Duo is my only phone since I traded in my GN9 for $550. As for the Duo itself, I do not find any need for another phone. Note that I have never used a smartphone for serious photography; I have better, and equally mobile, tools for that...

<<...I wonder if that implies a spatial size limitation to the dual screen effect? Would the Neo screen set up be too large to achieve it?..>>

@Bishop : I don't think I see any spatial limitations; in fact, I think that a larger screen would actually showcase this subtle effect better (assuming adequate palm rejection). The key is in the simultaneous fixation; not having to cue the OS before you can start using which of the two apps that you have open. This insight actually makes me even more enthusiastic about the Neo's potential...

dstrauss and Bishop like this.