Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. yodamiked

yodamiked Do or do not. There is no try.

Curious to know if anyone has been able to come up with a workaround for having two word docs open at the same time. I heard somewhere (probably an earlier comment on this thread) that a workaround was discovered to have two instances of outlook open. Adding my name to the list of lawyers on this forum, my work laptop generally has at least half a dozen of both word docs and PDFs open at any given time (and usually closer to 15 or so of each).

dstrauss and Bronsky like this.
  2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

My condolences on the lawyer thing. Amazing how many of us there are on this site.

Are you able to do that with half a dozen PDFs and Word documents on your Duo?

nnthemperor, Chris_Kez and Marty like this.
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Welcome to the sub-tribe of our tribe. I highlighted your post because this is where @Bronsky has been way ahead of us all on the Surface Go front. On my SG2 I know I've had 6 or more of each of Word/PDF's open, Outlook, OneNote, Chrome/Edge multi-tabs, and the SG2 barely breaks a sweat. That's amazing because I'm using Acrobat Pro DC for the PDF's - another resource hog. My gut tells me if they would just release another business SKU with 16gb/512gb this little train would be unstoppable.

My point being, as much as I am attracted to the DUO moleskine I always wanted, I have come to the realization that the SG2 is the smallest device I want to do any real work on; it is a no contest winner over the iPad Pro 11 for productivity; and can go anywhere, including attached to a dock on my desk as my office computer.

Sorry to hijack away from the Duo discussion - maybe I just need super-sized cargo pants...

nnthemperor, Bronsky and JoeS like this.
  4. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

Welcome. According to Reddit r/surfaceduo (I haven't tried it myself yet) the work around is:
    1. Make sure Microsoft Office is installed on your SDuo
    2. Install the separate Microsoft Word app from the Play Store.
    3. Open one of your docs from the Office document list
    4. Now open the stand-alone Word app
    That's supposed to work.

nnthemperor, Chris_Kez and Bronsky like this.
  5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...That's supposed to work...>>

Sure it should. If you can run two instantiations of OneNote (Office and Windows 10), then you can surely run two instantiations of Word...

Bronsky likes this.
  6. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

I assumed we were talking about on the SDuo. Maybe I was in error.

nnthemperor likes this.
  7. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

But when you go to the Play Store the individual titles say they are not compatible with the Duo

8. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Both are partially correct.

The catch is that you have to side load the individual apps as they aren't offered directly via the play store app. The workaround we used was to obtain the individual apps on a Galaxy S20 and then copy them to a USB drive and then side load them on the duo

BTW: Warning, it is possible to open the same document in both instances, but if you do that you will almost certainly corrupt the file.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    nnthemperor, Bronsky and yodamiked like this.
  9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

You know, we seem to be pushing the Duo to far off places just like we iPad owners have tried to make the iPad (and iPad Pro) do for years - probably with the same result - too far and too much to ask...

nnthemperor likes this.
  10. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Woah, woah, I realize this is a first-gen device and all, but...

Figuring out a way to open two Word docs at the same time (on a dual-screen device), is hardly what I'd call taking it to the 'outer limits'. :p

Chris_Kez likes this.